Post Your First Egg of 2016!!!

here you go: Are you posting from a computer or a phone? I think you should be able to embed videos on either. -Kathy
Thanks Kathy, I guess I wasnt trying hard enough but have figured it out after your assist.
1f44d.png
Gerald Barker

I haven't been able to embed videos either... I thought you had to have one of those special memberships to do that?

wHM2CwU.jpg

Squee! First Pea egg EVER, for me and my Peas. My hens will be two years old this June. I don't have a good enough incubator or broody chickens, so I'm going to just let them try and do their thing. I don't expect much success, they just seem to be putzing around.

wHM2CwU.jpg

Squee! First Pea egg EVER, for me and my Peas. My hens will be two years old this June. I don't have a good enough incubator or broody chickens, so I'm going to just let them try and do their thing. I don't expect much success, they just seem to be putzing around.

Congratulations!
yippiechickie.gif

Tell me -- pleeeeeeaze tell me
fl.gif
-- that this lovely, lush green, carefully hidden nest site is inside a closed-in peafowl enclosure? Pretty please?

Because if that is out in the woods, it may be the end of both your eggs and your beautiful young hens when they start sitting the eggs.
ep.gif

My hens totally ignore the eggs until there's a few of them, then the older hen gradually consolidates them until she decides there's enough to sit on. Two year-olds don't always figure it out.

Congratulations!  :yiipchick

Tell me -- pleeeeeeaze tell me :fl -- that this lovely, lush green, carefully hidden nest site is inside a closed-in peafowl enclosure?  Pretty please? 

Because if that is out in the woods, it may be the end of both your eggs and your beautiful young hens when they start sitting the eggs.  :eek:

My hens totally ignore the eggs until there's a few of them, then the older hen gradually consolidates them until she decides there's enough to sit on.  Two year-olds don't always figure it out.

Unfortunately it isn't, it's in my backyard. I don't know if I should take them away or not. I doubt they're even fertilized, my male isn't doing so well with the ladies.. I don't know how long they've been there, but at least a day or two. Should I candle them? I would rather lose a couple dud eggs than any of my girls.

Quote:
It's not really about the eggs... it's about the nesting behavior that exposes the sitting peahen to getting eaten by the first predator that comes along -- foxes, raccoons, coyotes, dogs, bobcats -- anything that hunts, and especially anything that hunts in the night.

Can you catch your girls and put them in a pen until they are done laying? You could put those eggs in the pen to give them an idea about sitting on them. That little dig spot looks very much like a peahen nesting spot, so I'm guessing at least one of them has the right idea. If you just take the eggs without catching and relocating the hens, the hens will most likely just find another and possibly more hidden spot to stash their eggs and eventually disappear to until they (the hens) either get eaten or get tired of sitting.

Breeding season is a really hazardous time for free-ranged peahens -- because they nest on the ground, they are absolutely not safe. And because they are sitting pretty much 24/7, they are very reluctant to get off the eggs and get up into a tree when a predator is sniffing around... They have to sleep sometime -- pretty easy to get eaten when you are asleep on the ground with hungry critters hunting for supper. You see them as pretty hens. Raccoons see them as tasty snacks.

It's not really about the eggs... it's about the nesting behavior that exposes the sitting peahen to getting eaten by the first predator that comes along -- foxes, raccoons, coyotes, dogs, bobcats -- anything that hunts, and especially anything that hunts in the night.

Can you catch your girls and put them in a pen until they are done laying? You could put those eggs in the pen to give them an idea about sitting on them. That little dig spot looks very much like a peahen nesting spot, so I'm guessing at least one of them has the right idea. If you just take the eggs without catching and relocating the hens, the hens will most likely just find another and possibly more hidden spot to stash their eggs and eventually disappear to until they (the hens) either get eaten or get tired of sitting.

Breeding season is a really hazardous time for free-ranged peahens -- because they nest on the ground, they are absolutely not safe. And because they are sitting pretty much 24/7, they are very reluctant to get off the eggs and get up into a tree when a predator is sniffing around... They have to sleep sometime -- pretty easy to get eaten when you are asleep on the ground with hungry critters hunting for supper. You see them as pretty hens. Raccoons see them as tasty snacks.
Yes, we live out in the middle of nowhere with a LOT of predators.. I do understand that she is very vulnerable.
sad.png
I have a coop/pen that they go into willingly, but it currently has the new peacock that I brought home only 10 days ago. He's been doing great, but I did plan to keep him quarantined for at least a month before putting any of the hens in with him. Now I'm feeling even more conflicted... I think the risk of them getting nabbed by a raccoon is much greater than them getting sick from the new male.. And I definitely can't medicate a bird torn to shreds.
barnie.gif

Yikes
hide.gif
If those girls start sitting the eggs, they're gonna be dinner for Mr Fox.
ep.gif

I'm not an expert on quarantine, so I don't know how long is required. In this circumstance, I'd be looking at throwing up another pen to temporarily hold the new boy, or I'd be re-evaluating the quarantine situation. If you've wormed and treated for parasites, and have carefully observed him for signs of illness, he may be less of a threat to your hens than the wildlife. I'd look at him to make sure he wasn't sniffling or sneezing, no discharge or swelling around the sinuses, no coughing noises, no funny or hunched posture, no fluffed up feathers, no shivering, etc. He should have nice, clear, bright eyes and a jaunty walk. He should be grooming himself and showing off for the ladies. He should be eating well and his poo should be... appropriate,
wink.png
@casportpony has multiple threads with dozens (perhaps hundreds by now) of pictures to show you exactly what is normal versus abnormal poo. His poo should not be watery, runny, bloody or bubbly.

Ask around and see what people say would be the minimum they would quarantine. Of course, if there is any sign of illness, then you have a serious issue. But if he is looking totally healthy and you've done all the worming/parasite treatment, maybe you could do whatever the absolute minimum might be. With your birds free-ranging, they are already exposed to lots of wild birds, so it's not as though they are a carefully and totally isolated flock.

I think you are absolutely correct to be very concerned about the predators, and you are so right -- once the predators strike, it's too late.
barnie.gif

Yikes :oops:   If those girls start sitting the eggs, they're gonna be dinner for Mr Fox. :eek:

I'm not an expert on quarantine, so I don't know how long is required.  In this circumstance, I'd be looking at throwing up another pen to temporarily hold the new boy, or I'd be re-evaluating the quarantine situation.  If you've wormed and treated for parasites, and have carefully observed him for signs of illness, he may be less of a threat to your hens than the wildlife.  I'd look at him to make sure he wasn't sniffling or sneezing, no discharge or swelling around the sinuses, no coughing noises, no funny or hunched posture, no fluffed up feathers, no shivering, etc.  He should have nice, clear, bright eyes and a jaunty walk.  He should be grooming himself and showing off for the ladies.  He should be eating well and his poo should be... appropriate, ;)   @casportpony
has multiple threads with dozens (perhaps hundreds by now) of pictures to show you exactly what is normal versus abnormal poo.  His poo should not be watery, runny, bloody or bubbly. 

Ask around and see what people say would be the minimum they would quarantine.  Of course, if there is any sign of illness, then you have a serious issue.  But if he is looking totally healthy and you've done all the worming/parasite treatment, maybe you could do whatever the absolute minimum might be.  With your birds free-ranging, they are already exposed to lots of wild birds, so it's not as though they are a carefully and totally isolated flock. 

I think you are absolutely correct to be very concerned about the predators, and you are so right -- once the predators strike, it's too late.  :barnie

I took the risk - they're now safely in the coop with the new rooster. Everyone is getting along fine. I went ahead and put the two eggs I found with them. Two of the hens look like they would be laying at any minute, drooped wings and lifted tails. I am so glad they all came in and are safe now. I will keep an extra close eye on everyone (and their poo). Thank you for your warning, I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom