Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great idea! I don't have leg bands so I may keep a ribbon or hair tie handy at the coop for when I can catch her laying. I know there is only one hen laying (unless the others are laying theirs somewhere in the hen yard where I can't find them!) since I am getting an egg a day now. If the others had begun laying, logic says that I would find more eggs than just one a day. I'm new to this but that's the way I see it.

My pullets are 16 weeks old. I have E.Eggers, a Speckled sussex, 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes, and a Cream legbar,

I found 4 eggs total, one yesterday, 3 today. A 54 gram beauty of an egg yesterday (first egg) with speckles, it is the pretty egg amoung the 3 pictured eggs, then the mishapen egg, and a softy caved in egg. I also found the tiny very light colored egg with tiny speckles today which is pictured by itself. I have noticed one Silver Laced Wyandotte clucking and checking out the nesting boxes. I have also noticed the Speckled sussex up on the roost, above the poop hamock acting sneaky. I found the mishapen egg laying in the poop hammock.. I fried the two funny looking ones up with cayenne pepper and fed it back to them. The other two were eaten by my husband for his birthday.

birthday breakfast with pullet and black orpington hen eggs on a bed of sauteed veggies from my garden.

Tiny perfect very light tan egg with small speckles

softy caved in egg found up on the roost in the poop hammock, mishapen one found in the nesting box. and perfect egg found in nesting box. This egg had a very large yoke, it is also pictured in the birthday breakfast picture perched on top of the rest of the food.

softy egg and mishapen egg fried up and fed back to the girls.

Last edited:
My boyfriend found our first egg on our welcome mat!

Aww, I think that's so cool that you did that! I'd have done the same thing and let Katiebug find the first egg, but she was at camp and I didn't want to wait THAT long. LOL

LOL - who goes to camp when there are important things to do like waiting for the first egg. Side note, I have a Katy too and she still gets called Katybug now and then (she just turned 18 this week so it doesn't happen nearly as often now as it used to, it is mostly my in-laws that still do it)

It was definitely worth giving up that first egg find to him. I love how invested he has become in the chickens.

We got our FIRST (and second and third) EGG!!!
wee.gif
The day our girls turned 4 months our Barred Rock decided to bless us with and egg then the next day our red sex link decided to follow suit. This morning when I let them out I was raking their run and turned to rake near their food where they all had been standing and there was an egg. I'm assuming it's from the Rock again, (she didn't lay one yesterday) WOW was I surprised! Before it was a big nesting, noisy ordeal in their coop but today this one looks as if it just fell out.
hu.gif
Is this normal when they're "learning" to lay?

Thank you
Kristen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom