Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Got my first egg! My girls are 20/21weeks today. From the size I am thinking it is from one of the bantams but one of my GLWs has been singing egg song for a couple of days...

I think I've solved my egg mystery -first egg was small, second egg was large, third egg was small -but the large egg was a double yolker (and very tasty. ;-)) I'm pretty sure I have just one layer so far - a Red Star.

Last edited:
Congratulate your hen! Great job!

I have gotten 8 eggs in the first week after the first egg. Is it strange that all are not laying? I should have many more than 8, shouldn't I?

7 white eggs, regular or small size. 1 beige egg. I have 5 small white hens, 2 RIR, Production hens, I think. 2 dominecker hens. 2 large white hens, really large! I think the beige egg came from one of those. Thought they were binding so I rubbed some oil on their vents and then chased one of them off the nest where the beige egg laid.

Anyone have any ideas?

Congratulate your hen! Great job!

I have gotten 8 eggs in the first week after the first egg. Is it strange that all are not laying? I should have many more than 8, shouldn't I?

7 white eggs, regular or small size. 1 beige egg. I have 5 small white hens, 2 RIR, Production hens, I think. 2 dominecker hens. 2 large white hens, really large! I think the beige egg came from one of those. Thought they were binding so I rubbed some oil on their vents and then chased one of them off the nest where the beige egg laid.

Anyone have any ideas?

There is nothing unusual at all about your situation - your birds are only just beginning to lay, so their systems are just figuring out how to produce an egg - this means that they may lay in starts and stops - also, not all the birds will begin to lay at the same time. Just as with humans, each bird will mature at her own pace - the expected beginning of lay is just an estimate/average and varies from breed to breed. Their first eggs will be small - they will get larger as they get further into their laying cycle. Leave their vents alone and don't chase them off the nests, soon enough you'll have more eggs than you know what to do with.
As an example, in our current flock of pullets we have 15 birds - GLW, SLW, EE, Light Brahma and BO. Our first egg was a BO that came 2-3 weeks ago -- since that time others have reached the point of lay and begun to lay, but we are still only at 11 of 15 actively laying. and we get anywhere from 7-11 eggs on any given day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom