Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That egg looks very pink. Is it the lighting that makes it look that way?

not speaking for fshinggrl but my son keeps saying our BA eggs are pink. In some lighting I also think they look a tad bit pink but I think the real color is a very light brown. They are pretty whatever the color may be!

Your right, in the right light, it does kind of look pink, but when you put it up to a white egg, it does look like a medium brown. I'll post a picture after my workday if I can.

that is funny because I was telling my husband that the fresh eggs from our chickens taste less eggy than store bought. I'm not an egg person but like these home grown ones.

Yep - people often have a similar reaction to non-factory raised chicken meat. They are surprised by the taste and want to know why it tastes so funny/bad/strong/etc --- well, because it tastes like chicken
wink.png

Our Speckled Sussex, Liberty, lays a very light brown egg with a slightly rose hue. Depending on ambient lighting, it can look even more pink. (but that's the nature of light and color...don't get me started, it's part of my job.
smile.png
).
I find that the eggs from our girls, who free range, taste more "meaty". I was never a fan of yolks, but these are heavier and have a much more creamy consistency than the standard "chalky" yolk of a mass production egg.

It has happened! Three days ago we got our first egg! And apparently egg laying is catching, because 2 more hens have joined the egg laying game since the first egg. We have 10 pullets, all almost 19 weeks. Our first egg came from an Easter Egger (Blueish? Or is it green? My husband and I don't agree on what color it is). The light brown/pinkish one is from a White Rock. And the dark brown is a mystery. It is either from a Red Sex Link, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, an Australorp, or a Cuckoo Marans. My guess is it is from the Sex Link. Maybe sometime in the next couple days I'll catch the girl in the act and know for sure. The white one at the end is from a Runner duck. 3 down, 7 to go! This is so exciting, I can't wait to see what color eggs the others lay!
Don't think I'm a weirdo for checking out your other posts, I just wanted to see what kinds if chickens you had! I was hoping someone near by might have some speckled sussex as I'm looking for more. Anyway, the darkest egg will have been from the cuckoo maran. Marans lay "chocolate" eggs. Hope that helps!

First egg from one of the 2 ameraucana's. What a thrill.. She is around 23 weeks, the cuckoo maran is 24 or 25 weeks and should be right behind this one.

Here is the egg next to a white one. Little darker than I thought, but definitely brown.

And, the layer was NOT on my list of suspects! Look at this sneaky girl! Her comb is half the size of the other ones! Same spot. I'll have to revise my nest box idea. (I did get a 2nd egg today!)

O GOSH, i had a terrible time with MOST STORE eggs they would make me nauseous for the entire day, it was really horrible, I dont know why...? maybe its the feed..?? im allergic to soy, & because the store eggs made me soooo sick...!!! we started to buy the organic kind of eggs at cost of like $ 30.00 plus a month, my husband loves eggs, i found them ok tasting but not great & they didn't make me sick , but geeezzz at what a cost , $5.00 a dozen..! gosh...! we had planned to get some chickens after we moved into our new home we are building our selves, but i could not resist, the chicks at the Cal store all sooo adorable & sweet....lol....I was thinking about getting a few chicks from a hatchery , but id rather see what I was getting, a few days old alive & well , & get to hand pick them all out by my self and now im sooo glad we didn't wait, since we had the first egg from one of our 4 BR girls a Henryetta
wink.png
thats their group name & at 17.5 weeks old we got the first egg & then an egg every day or every other day since then & now we have 9 eggs , we made a big omelet today and still have 3 eggs left over...lol... it was wonderful that my young girls eggs were sooo much better tasting , then the expensive organic kind from the store, im sooo happy & amazed...! I have to say the BR & the WD impressed me....! not flighty at all, compared to the 4, 22 week old NH we have that are 3 weeks older & still no red combs & no eggs yet & not interested in the nest boxes at all..? plus they are more flighty even thou i had been picking them all up since they were all tiny...? & i can do almost any thing to the bard rocks, and the wyandotts & its an eye opener the difference in temperaments in each group , my youngest are all wyandotts, and sooo sweet & trusting little birds , even thou all the older ones included BR beat them up every chanced they get , geeezzzz so I keep the wyandotts from harm in a different area until they get older .....lol... and even thou they are much younger then the BR & the NH by almost a month, they are showing interest in the nest boxes and are sitting in them trying them out each day & their combs have turned red, unlike the NH, I feel most of these differences between each breed , could possibly be because they came from different hatcheries...? plus the NH dont have the feather accents, no dark colored necklace , & no dark feathers on the end the tail...? but they came from a different feed store & different hatchery , then the BR & the WD did, I will ask which hatcheries they all came from and post that info when i get it, but any way wooo hooo 9 eggs....!!! in this past week....!!!!
thumbsup.gif
celebrate.gif
its soooo exciting
yesss.gif
highfive.gif
....!!!.....lol.....
jumpy.gif
wee.gif
highfive.gif
I get up with them every morning around 5:am & give them each a big hug & kiss & let them all out to play & eat bugs.....lol...
D.gif
wink.png
smile.png
big_smile.png

Last edited:
WOW WILD CHICKENS....!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT...!!!
yippiechickie.gif
gosh how did you get sooo lucky..?
thumbsup.gif
sound like great fun...!!! im in East AZ not to far from NM border , i have family in NM, I had an Araucana rooster he was given to me , back in the 70's he was the best rooster ever..!!! we loved him soooo, such a big smart guy and wonderful with all my animals & kids , not a mean bone in his body...!!! but just the same he was a very brave guy...! i still miss him, gosh
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom