Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not exactly MY first but my Ameracauna bantams first :)
Stormy-
94826_p1100335.jpg

Stormys 1st egg!!
94826_p1110133.jpg

My White Leghorn, Tilly, officially won the race to First Egg among my young flock! Here it is!

31488_dsc_0182.jpg

Here she is before she got her big old comb and wattles:

31488_dsc_0185.jpg

I got my first eggs today! 2 of them. Not sure which hens laid them though. I suspect either my Cochin, Brahma or Rhode Island Red.

Right outta the box
90311_photo.jpg

Cleaned and Shiny
90311_photo1.jpg

All my non-silkie chickens
90311_photo2.jpg

Possible Suspect (Brahma) #1
90311_photo3.jpg

Possible Suspects 2 and 3 (Cochin and RIR)
90311_photo4.jpg

Well, I've read many "first egg" stories here on BYC...everything from "fart/air" eggs, to near-perfectly round eggs, soft-shelled "wet leather" eggs - sometimes torn open, rough/grainy eggshells, eggs with little or no yolk, etc...So I was fairly prepared for the first egg in my backyard to be an oddity of almost any sort. I have Black Australorps (3 pullets hatched sometime between late May and early June, I think) among others, and I was starting to be concerned about late/non-layers, although with all the maturing signs I was seeing, I was telling others (and myself, for reassurance) that I expected the first egg sometime between Hallowe'en and Thanksgiving...

The morning of Sunday the 20th when I went to feed & check all the birds, one of those three was acting odd - behaviour I took to be "pre-laying/laying" (hopefully). I checked around the run, but found no indication of an egg already laid, so I went to church as normal. A couple of hours later, after some good coffee and doughnuts and conversation, I returned home, got into my knock-around clothes and headed to the back yard for a quick recon. I cannot describe where it was (will have to take/add a pic later for that), but here is what I found just after noontime, still warm to the touch!

88908_firstaussieegg.jpg

I added other common items to the frame for size/perspective...but look at that beauty! Smooth, hard shell, normal egg-shaped oval, no blemishes...good consistent colour. My pullet laid an almost perfectly normal egg (on the small side of 'medium')! Hurray!

88908_firstaussieegg_2.jpg

And they were just getting started...Monday as I was outside working on the henhouse, I noticed more "pre/laying" behaviours, and my patience was further rewarded - another egg landed between 2:45 and 3:00 PM...pictured here on the left with the first egg.

88908_firstsecondaussieegg.jpg

88908_firstsecondaussieegg_2.jpg

Notice the size is similar, but the second egg has a perceptibly darker brown shell. I believe I have two pullets out of three "up and running"...

They all skipped Tuesday...just mailed it in, but on Wednesday around 1:00 to 1:10 PM, egg #3, shown here with the first two...

88908_threeaussieeggs.jpg

88908_threeaussieeggs_2.jpg

Clearly there are at least two producing Aussie pullets at this point...I have not taken more pics (yet) but the girls skipped Thursday (Thanksgiving, you know - they were thankful not to be turkeys!) and resumed bright and early on Friday with an egg at straight up 8:00 AM (I actually heard that one drop onto an OSB plank!) a Saturday egg at 1:55 PM, another 8:00 AM egg on Sunday, and TWO eggs on Monday the 28th - an "AM" and a "PM"...and then a single Tuesday at 1:50 PM

That's nine eggs in ten days! (I'll add pics to the thread later on...will probably have another egg or two tomorrow)

This makes the waiting worthwhile - along with all the work and prep I have put in, it now appears I have some real producers here - I only wish I had twice as many Aussie pullets! However, since I have a very studly Aussie Roo, who has already been covering his girls consistently, I am thinking I may incubate some eggs down the line and select for pullet hatchlings to reach that goal.

I have read from many on BYC NOT to try incubating the first eggs from young pullets, so I will not - however, does anyone have a clear idea how long it is preferable to wait before I can set aside their eggs for hatching? Three weeks...six? I'd like to be able to have several more Aussie pullets at P.O.L. by mid 2012...is that a fair and possible goal, or should I wait longer?

Lightfoote

wee.gif
celebrate.gif

Zoey layed her first egg today!!! We adopted them on 11/4 & the hatchers said they were 5 1/2 months old. We've been on pins & needles since Sat/Sun when she started squatting for us.
110165_100_3043.jpg

Here's the girl: See how red her comb & waddles are.
110165_100_3050.jpg

Our other two girls appear less mature without the full comb but maybe by Christmas.

93532_1stegg.jpg

The first from our flock - not sure if this is the BR or the RSL since they both lay brown..

93532_1steggcompair.jpg

The compairison shot, "homemade" first brown egg next to a store bought large white egg.

These were 3 weeks ago, been getting an egg almost every day since, still waiting on the other two to lay!

Went out to collect today's egg just after posting these pictures, and *surprise* two eggs in the next box! So, here's today's "first egg" which I think is the BR and the other egg which I think is our RSL now that I can compair them side by side. :)

93532_photo.jpg

Now I can't wait for the splash of blue to show up from the EE!

Last edited:
Here's my first from a couple days ago
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
from our Americauna "Belle" ...She laid her second one today
D.gif

108855_first_egg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom