Post your ''Other'' Uses for feed bags

Pics
I use my feed bags (they are the paper ones) for weed block in the gardens. They work great since the plants roots can go right through them and the bags compost themselves.

I use them as makeshift cones for the tukeys at harvest time, and I have had a horrible cold these last few days and got lazy and cut one in half and used it to fill the feeders with their pellets without toting everything to the feed shed and back. On a lower spot of the property we have put tires where it floods every spring to increase the garden area and use em to weed block under the tires as well. And of course trash bags, etc...

Quote:
ok, so I'm not sure which directions you've seen... but here's an example that might help. (these things are tough to do without photos so I hope this makes sense).

you need the cardboard tube from inside a roll of paper towels, a piece of paper, and scissors.

on one end of the cardboard tube cut 1/2" deep slices 1/2" apart all the way around the tube (as if you were making petals).
fold these petals out so they stick out from the tube all the way around.
turn the tube petal-side down and stand it on a piece of paper.
draw a circle on the paper just wide enough to go right around the outside edge of the petals.
cut out the circle.

so, the idea is to sew the flat circle to the base of the tube right across the edge of the petals where they meet the tube.

basically slicing the petals allows you to make a cylindrical object (the tube) meet up nicely with a flat object (the circle of paper).

so.
what you're doing with the totes is cutting a more-or-less rectangular section of bag for the "floor" of the tote...
and opening up the bottom of the bag to make an empty sort-of-rectangular tube...
and then sewing the bottom 1/2" of the tube to the rectangular-ish floor to make a tote. where there's a tight turn around the corners of the "floor" you make a slice in the tube to help it fit around the turn. just leave enough not-cut that you don't end up with a hole in the corner.

anyway, hope that helps you make sense of the directions you've seen.

ETA: oh, and once you've got the parts cut out, pinning everything together before you sew helps make sure that all the parts line up, and stay lined up, while you're sewing.

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif

Quote:

Anyone looking to throw away their poly-weave feed bags (any kind)... I'd be happy to take them off your hands!!! Send me a PM.

I save mine since they are made of thin tarp like plastic. I have used 2 to completely seal in my quail coop from the weather. the coop itself is wrapped in the bag that I cut open.

Back
Top Bottom