Post your ''Other'' Uses for feed bags

Pics
I make totes and I also line the floor of my coops for easier clean up. I put them on the floor and shavings on top of that. All I have to do is pull out the bags and dump them. Sometimes I can clean them off, hang them dry and use them again. They make good storage bags and garbage bags as well. I also use them to cover things I don't want getting wet outside.

They work great for earth bag construction. You can build everything from raised planter boxes to houses out of earth bags. If you have a good mix of clay/sand soil like us, the fill is already on hand. All you need are the feed bags, some barbed wire, and some stucco mix or lime plaster (also made from good clay/sand mix and lime) to finish the completed structure with. I am currently saving bags to build a "storm proof" barn. If we need more bags when we're ready to begin the project, we'll buy recycled woven poly bags off ebay. Not only will the barn be extra strong (think army bunker strength) but we'll be using all recycled and local materials, a win/win in my opinion.

That's an awesome idea... any estimates how many bags you'll need for a barn? Is the barbed wire just to keep the plastic bags from sliding around on each other?

Very creative ideas from all the peeps here.
highfive.gif
My idea is simple and lame but its basically a poly tarp so I staple the bags to the top of my wood stacks and overlap them so water and snow run off. Also used them to discard a few duck and geese carcases after being processed from a hunt. I used to put them in clear bags until the trash company refused to take them and prompted a call from animal control.
I also used one as a coffin for one of my roosters,put him in rolled it closed and duct taped it. Wrote his name on it the buried him. Poor Charlie.

Last edited:
And to think I have been burning mine.
barnie.gif
I am going to start saving them and then get my sewing maching back up and running. Gosh it's been ages since I sewed but looking forward to starting on some shopping bags.

For those who want instructions- I make my bags minimalistic.
Start with a clean bag and take the bottom strip off. You can cut it close to the tape. I find the bags are often crooked at the bottom. Cut them straight.
Decide where you want the bottom of the side picture. Measure about 5 inches or so down towards the bottom of the bag from there. Mark it. Flatten the bag out-- spreading out the gussets( folded in parts) in the side. Cut STRAIGHT across the bag at the mark at a 90 degree angle to the side of the bag.
On most bags, this leaves you a 6 inch strip or so that is the bottom of the bag. This provides the straps. Cut this in two pieces at the edges of the expanded gusset. You now have 2 strips each the width of the folded out bag. Fold them in half LENGTHWISE. Crease well. Take each side lengthwise and fold it in to the center crease. This is easier than it sounds. I run the creases along a hard table surface to enforce the creases. Now you have a long piece with 3 creases in it that allow you to fold each side in on itself and then both sides in half to basically have a strip 4 layers deep. Sew about 1/4 inch in from both edges to secure.
Note about sewing: Use a HEAVY needle- at least a 16. Leather point works best. My machine is gives a slightly uneven stitch on the bottom because of the plastic material so I am careful which side I sew that is visible.
Now back to the bag itself. Turn the bag inside out. Sew a good seam along the bottom- right sides together. Tricky gusset part: Locate the creases made by the original side gussets. The idea is to match the center of the bottom seam to the center of the side gusset and sew across this to create a triangle. To do this, I use one hand inside, one outside, and match the seam to the center crease and holding that as best I can, fold the triangle. On the outside ( white part because bag is inside out) I take a 6 inch ruler, place the 3 inch mark at the bottom seam and try to align the whole thing so the gusset seam will be 6 inches across. It helps to mark it using the ruler to give you a sewing line. Sew the seam on both ends, then turn the bag right side out. Press out the gusset corners inside with your finger.
The top of the bag I turn inside on itself twice about 2 inches each time to give a triple strength layer that I then sew twice about 1/4 inch and 1 1/2 inches from the top edges. It's just a big circle like putting on a cuff or a sleeve.
In attaching the straps, I close the top putting in the original gussets. I mark the inside top edge where the fold-in gusset stops. This is the start of my placement for the straps on each side. I place the ends of the straps even with the lower edge of the top border and sew in a box and crisscross on the strap for strength.
The more you do, the better you get. The plastic is a bit hard to sew but we are recycling, it's not totally perfect!
DD wants pockets and a flap on hers and someone suggested lining them too. It's a work in progress.
Oh, and DD's bf says don't get these too close to the fire when toting firewood. They melt ;) And I am seriously going to try those pots and holders. Great idea. Where's my glue gun?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom