Post your Pop Door (and lock) pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jupitergirl, Jun 3, 2009.

1. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    These pictures are very helpful!! So many wonderful ideas. Thanks for starting this post!![​IMG]

2. jojufarm

jojufarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    Leggett, NC
    anyone have a homemade auto door opener/close?
    like to see them to

3. Vtchicks

Vtchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Rutland, VT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1/4 inch lexan door, vinyl trim pieces used to make track. No wood, no metal = no problems

4. showme69

showme69 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2010
    Union, MO
    I used a plastic cutting board from Wal-Mart for the door that slides in a wooden track. Works better than I ever thought it would.

[​IMG]
    A couple of the door while the coop was under construction. Well, it's still under construction even though the chickens are living in it now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A view from the outside.

[​IMG]
    The pulley system connected to the door.

[​IMG]
    The pulley system anchor point.

1 person likes this.
  5. socks

socks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Hey there Showme thanks for the nice pics and great ideas. I have one of those cutting boards kicking around. Luckily for us our run is so secure we don't have to use the door anymore as for 6 months of the year the wood is swollen and won't budge. Next time I would like to follow your plan though.
    I do have a question ....is Lexan used for making doors or making the trim? I haven't heard of it before.
    thanks

6. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Here is what I did and working perfectly. Simple track made from 1" x 3" soft wood. Old street sign which is 1/8 " aluminum, which I cut down to width I needed then slide in the groove I created with the track setup. Attached an add-a-motor($99.00) and plugged it into an old christmas light timer I had. Plugged the timer into outlet and set for am and pm activation. Slides up and down slowly and works like a dream. The girls stand in line waiting for it to open. It's seriously funny to watch them haul butt out when it opens. Like watching a group of women waiting for Wally World to open on sale days. Killer Hope theis helps all who are thinking about going automatic. For me it was the only way to go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. showme69

showme69 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2010
    Union, MO
    Quote:Hi socks. You're welcome. That was Vtchicks who has the Lexan. But it's the clear plastic door in their photos. Lexan is a brand of polycarbonate resin thermoplastic.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Vtchicks

Vtchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Rutland, VT
    Quote:Hi socks. You're welcome. That was Vtchicks who has the Lexan. But it's the clear plastic door in their photos. Lexan is a brand of polycarbonate resin thermoplastic.

Lexan = plexiglass

10. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    showme69--
    Love, love, love your cutting board pop door! Way past awesome!! [​IMG]
    Yes, I know this post is from a while ago, but just saw it & had to comment. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by