Post your Pop Door (and lock) pics

Our pop door. DH bent the tubing and inserted a cable to pull up the door from the outside of the coop. The "door" is attached to drawer slides which make it easy to pull up and down. We do not have a lock on the "door" as it is a left over piece of oak DH had in the garage and sits in a groove. I do lock the coop and use a lock on the run people door.

The cable and hook to open and close the pop door.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of pics from the inside and outside of the coop. Door is made of 1/4" white plastic. Door runs in aluminum channel on the inside of the coop and is controlled by drapery motor on a timer. Door sill is "plastic" deck wood.

Mama Hen Chris-- Love the door slides idea!
clap.gif

Mine is very basic. slides up and down in a track 12x12. I would make sure your door opening isn't on the floor level, leave a few inches so the bedding won't fall out all the time. mine have to kinda hop up to the opening. the wood dowel locks it open and locks it closed.

IMG_5026.jpg

Connie
Hello, awesome idea. I have been concerned about a predator being able to lift the door and get into the house at night. The dowel makes perfect sense. I like the idea! I was wanting a sliding pop door, but could not decide on how to keep it from being opened from the outside.

I tried the belt and suspenders approach. I have a hinged pop door that swings down and forms a platform for the chickens to perch on to enter the coop. Then, inside, I have a sliding door. I have to tinker with the sliding door design this spring because I sand keeps gumming up the bottom track.

Pictures are on my BYC page.
Not sure how to view your BYC page. I tried to go to your profile but it said I had insufficient permissions. Yikes!

I wonder, has anyone tried using a drawbridge style pop door? I live in Michigan and would want my door to be weather proof. I'm thinking of having it hinged at the bottom with some form or bulb seal or thick foam tape around the opening. The cable would run from the top of the door, into the coop, up to the top on a pulley and then out the back of the coop on another pulley. Then you could pull it tight and tie it off from the outside of the coop. I think I'm going to try this design and take some pictures. I will post them if this actually turns out well!

Back
Top Bottom