Post your straight-run M/F ratio, let's see if hatcheries are honest

10 straight run CX from Schlecht , 3 males / 7 females .

Back in the 1960s my neighbors claimed straight run layers or dual purpose always ran 70/30 to 60/40 , males over females , from a major hatchery they used ............ and dead opposite on meaties . They also claimed roo orders on the vent or feather sexed layers or DPs were almost always 100% .......... pullet orders seldom over 95% and often lower .

I will have to say this in defense of the hatcheries...

Yes, to be absolutely fair, straight runs should be pulled from an untouched batch of chicks.

However, these places have orders to keep, and they get better use out of the number of chicks they have if they fill their sexed runs first, then use the remainder to do straight runs. I doubt the hatcheries are purposefully sexing chicks on the straight runs to "keep" the desired sex. All a straight run really means is that the chicks are unsexed, not that you should get equal numbers.

If there is a big disparity between hatcheries, it's likely because one simply fills more orders for sexed chicks than another, and not because they are dishonest in their practices.

For this project to be even more accurate, the trends should be followed throughout a year to show seasonal differences.

The only real way to see if hatcheries are performing unfair distribution of sexes is if they regularly miss the mark on sexed chicks. Then again improper sexing could just be incompetence of an employee.

Last edited:
What now we have hatchery conspiracies?

If the chicks are unsexed, it means just that. Read the catalogs.

Individual orders may vary, but across the entire hatch, I wager it comes out pretty much 50/50.

When I order from hatcheries or buy straight run from a feed store I pretty much come out close to 50/50. Might be 60/40 or 45/55 one way or the other. Best I ever done was buying 3 week old barred rocks from a feed store at 2.00 each. They were old enough to detect a slight color difference betwext male/female. But that was my conspiracy not the hatchery.

Hatchery wants to stay in business, they will stay honest.

I agree with all those who pointed out that "straight run" doesn't mean they try to give you 50% males and 50% females. "Straight Run" is more synonymous with "not sexed" or "not sorted" than it is with "even distribution of sexes." The whole point of a hatchery offering straight run is to save on labor, which saves the customer some money by not being picky about the sexes.

If an even distribution is important to you, then I'd suggest paying the extra and getting half of your birds pullet runs and half of your birds cockerel runs. Then you would have a decent premise for your statistical analysis. Can you provide a link to any hatchery that guarantees their straight runs to be roughly 50%/50%? I've never seen such a guarantee. I have, however, seen guarantees that cockerel or pullet runs are 90-95% accurate.

The other flaw with your premise is that you presume that any deviation from 50/50 is due to dishonesty. There are a wide variety of other explanations, that are not even under the control of the hatcheries which could influence the ratio of chicks sent out in the straight runs.

JMTC

Dan

Hmmm... I wonder if maybe they sex a batch of chicks, take the males and fill as many orders for that week as possible and fill whatever female orders they have, take the leftovers and throw them into a batch of unsexed chicks and then grab and send.... It'd make since why you get males but not as many as you do females?? Just harboring a guess..
idunno.gif

Quote:
This is more or less the way I see it happening too. By the time the chicks hatch, the hatchery pretty much knows what the orders will be and where they are sending the chicks to. They sort enough chicks to get their sorted runs satisfied and then randomly grab the remaining chicks to fill the straight runs. If the average hatch is roughly 50/50 but there is more demand for males, then you'd get more females than males in a straight run, on average.

Dan

My first group of straight run chicks came from a feed store. They just came in that morning when I was there. Straight run only. I picked a dozen of them All different colors. 12/12 ROOS!!

This year I got 6 straight run bantams from TSC 1Roo/4 pullet Seabrights and 1oops Cochin pullet-I didn't notice the feathered feet. Poof is going to a new home next weekend where she will be their first breeder Cochin and I'm getting 6 straight run EE bantams

25 McMurray I got 5 roosters and 20 hens. I WILL NOT order straight run anymore. Already have my next batch of 50 Roos ordered from Welp.
Anyone ordered from Welp before? If so, are they good/bad/or otherwise?

Quote:
I ordered 25 straight run from Welp and they sent 26 and I got almost 50/50, think I got 11 males and 15 females. I felt they are pretty good and none died on transit, and they're 2 weeks old and still no losses.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom