Post your straight-run M/F ratio, let's see if hatcheries are honest

sksmass

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 18, 2010
Massachusetts
If you got straight-run meat birds please post how many females and males you had, the type of bird, and the hatchery.

If enough people give me data, I will be able to statistically prove* whether or not "straight-run" is really what we think it is.

In general, we'd expect our straight-ruin batches to approach a 50/50 ratio given a large enough sample size. And I expect that is what I'll find. But it is possible that hatcheries in general, or some specific hatcheries, are more likely to ship slightly more hens in "straight-runs" in order to have more males to sell in expensive sexed batches.

So, I'll start this off:

I ended up with 7F and 3M CX from McMurray**

*for those of you who are interested in statistics, I plan to aggregate all the data I collect to maximize the sample size, then apply a binomial test to see if the observed proportion is different from the expected 0.50 proportion. I will then split the file by hatchery and do the same thing. And split it by breed and do the same thing. Then report back

**by the way, that is well within an expected proportion given the sample size is only 10. Only by collecting data from lots of people and aggregating it will I have enough statistical "power" to prove anything.

Last year's order from Murray McMurray---25 Cornish X Roasters. 4 Roos 21 Hens. Think that blows the straight run ratio right out of the water LOL
Slinky

I hatched out 5 MF D'uclles from my own eggs - 4 were roosters. I'm about 50-50 male to female ratio with the rest of my hatchings this year. IMO and experience the hatcheries do a pretty decent job - it is in their best interest to get the consumer what they want.

I'm not sure whether its a question of "honesty."

To me "straight run" means the chicks are not sexed and just randomly pulled from the incubator. Of course, this happens after orders are pulled for those customers the request a specific sex. In the case of meat birds, those specifying a preference are most likely asking for males - thus leaving a preponderance of females remaining for those requesting straight run. If everyone ordered all males what would happen to the females? The same, I suppose, that happens to all the male layer breeds.

My last order from MM for 115 CX's yielded about 70% females. Am I happy about it? Nope. I much prefer JM's policy with the FR's - all orders are straight run and my ratios run closer to 50-50.

I never get a 50/50 ratio when hatching my own "mutt" eggs---it always seems to be more Roos then Hens. Thats not a problem for me as I eat the surplus, but it brings into question in my mine whether the 50/50 ratio is accurate.

I don't have exact numbers, but last year my cornish were definitely more F than M, those were from Mc Murray. This year I ordered from Meyer and have the same deal.

Back
Top Bottom