Ideal Hatchery straight run chicks?

jermb11

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 7, 2013
Timpson, Tx
I am wanting to order a batch of standard sized straight run chicks from ideal hatchery in Cameron texas. My self and my father have ordered from them before but never a straight run order. Was wandering What type of male to female ratio I could expect.

Thanks

Straight run aren't sexed they're packed at time of hatch so ratio could be anything. If you order a large amount I would expect a close to 50/50 ratio though.

I know that is how is supposed to be but was wanting to see if anyone had any experience with ideal and gotten a batch of 75%-90% males? Or if they truly pick chicks prior to being sexed.

Last edited:
I've seen everywhere from 40% to 80% over the years on these boards (males). Straight run is average 50% each, but each order won't be that way. They're boxed as they hatch. Personally, I've had my own hatches be 75% male at times, so I don't wee why the hatchery wouldn't be the same.

Why are you wanting to order straight run? Unless you plan on butchering a lot of chicken, I don't see the point myself. Order pullets, and if you want to keep a rooster later pick up someone else's Oops----or you may get one yourself!

Back
Top Bottom