Post your straight-run M/F ratio, let's see if hatcheries are honest

"To me it is a question of honesty. Straight run should be pulled randomly from the incubator before any sexed chickens are pulled, just like you said. Otherwise they are not straight run. "

"Ridgerunner"-

how could they do that if they have an order for 100 males they are gonna fill it first same if it was for females then str run is basicly left overs.

Sorry I wish it was the way you said

Last edited:
IMO, even when you order pullets, I SWARE they sneak cockerels in there in purpose, since most of us can't tell anyway. I honestly hope I'm wrong because I would rather a hatchery deal with the excess males "their way" and I never have to see about it, know about it, or be apart of it, rather than them sending them to me and now I have to worry about it.

ETA: I bought 2 sexed pullets from a feed store that orders from Ideal, within a week I knew 1 was a cockerel. Awaiting on an order of 4 more St Runs from McMurray and going tomorrow to buy some st.runs from a pet store who orders from privett. Will post results.

I think some people are just luckier than others.

Last edited:
Quote:
If you don't want the roosters, why are you buying st. runs. There are hatcheries that sell sexed chicks. I've never had a problem with Meyers hatchery, what I order is what I get. I know that when I order a st run that I'm going to get unusual amount of roo's and I grow them till they are about 16 wks and then we eat them.
1ST st run of orps from Mt Healthy 17 chicks 9m 8F.
2nd st run of rare marans from Meyers 10 chicks 5F 5M(they only sold these in a straight run) Only kept one male and have 2 more to cull.
3 rd st run again from Meyers is of CX's and I pick them up at 1pm today. will let you know what I got. (cant wait YUM_YUM)

Quote:
If you don't want the roosters, why are you buying st. runs. There are hatcheries that sell sexed chicks. I've never had a problem with Meyers hatchery, what I order is what I get. I know that when I order a st run that I'm going to get unusual amount of roo's and I grow them till they are about 16 wks and then we eat them.

Alot of hatcheries don't offer sexed chicks on certain breeds. Pet stores and feed stores buy st runs because it's cheaper. But when I buy pullets I expect 90% pullets, not 50% pullets like it's been. Some people can do the dirty job of taking care of the roosters but I can't and even though I force myself not to bond with them I still know what is going to happen to most of those roosters I raised when I put them on craigslist.

Quote:

Alot of hatcheries don't offer sexed chicks on certain breeds. Pet stores and feed stores buy st runs because it's cheaper. But when I buy pullets I expect 90% pullets, not 50% pullets like it's been. Some people can do the dirty job of taking care of the roosters but I can't and even though I force myself not to bond with them I still know what is going to happen to most of those roosters I raised when I put them on craigslist.

Yep, I ordered 6 pullets fromm MPC and 3 ended up roosters. I raised them as pets and it's breaking my heart to get rid of them. I got the unlucky 50% too.

Last edited:
I ordered 15 CXs from Ideal Hatchery this March:

*7 Males
*8 Females

And I will be ordering from them again...I was more than pleased
big_smile.png

I started with 3 dozen hatching eggs when I first began raising RI Red Bantams. They hatched very well: 33 of the 36 hatched. 29 cockerels & 4 pullets.
Not "straight run" from a hatchery but an illustration of how nature can skew a small sample.

Thanks everyone for commenting! I have aggregated the data provided by everyone above, performed the analysis, and posted the results in a new topic. Please visit this new post to view the results.

Back
Top Bottom