Postal Cuts to slow delivery of first class mail

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gootziecat, Dec 5, 2011.

1. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
  2. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I saw this on the news this morning when I was getting ready for work. I wonder how it will affect the shipping of chicks.

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I saw it in the newspaper and thought the same thing. The cuts of next-day delivery services only seem to apply to envelopes though; it didn't read like packages could no longer be sent fast. I think there will probably be provisions for things like shipping of chicks and other time-sensitive things like perishable medications or medical stuff that has to be delivered fast. At least...I hope so! I guess there are always options like Fed-Ex and UPS, I don't know if they will ship chicks, but a lot of tropical fish breeders ship livestock through them instead (or airport-to-airport shipping) if they are being sent somewhere that can't get overnight delivery through the post office. I expect the shipping costs will skyrocket at any rate.

4. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
  5. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    I don't know about everyone else but my birds shipped from SW Missouri to the north east coast have been arriving overnight. I just bought a cockerel from CT and he was a day and a half.

6. montyhp

montyhp Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    South Texas
    The last FEDEX commercial I saw showed them shipping organs for transplant. Chicks are a piece of cake.

Montyhp
    So TX

Quote:

7. LeasureChix

LeasureChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Medford OR
    You might be able to ship eggs via Fed Ex or UPS but live animals ship only via USPS. Express mail will not change, it will still be 1-2 days. If hatching eggs are marked properly, they are handled like live animals and are treated like express mail, even if you don't pay for express. You do have to be careful about the time of year that you ship. The trucks transporting mail are not heated or air conditioned in the cargo areas. The contractors and mail handlers are careful. Chicks and eggs are pulled off the cold/hot docks and handled with care. I'm proud to be a postal contractor and I see first hand what happens behind the scenes.

I have hatching eggs coming from 2 shippers this week. Honestly, I'm a little concerned because it has been so cold here in So OR. The cold is really my only concern.

8. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Meh, I still think getting rid of Saturday delivery would be a good move. It has been eliminated and re established in the past. But considering how much businesses are moving from physical mail, it would be a good way for the USPS to save money. I know I wouldn't be upset not getting Netflix or junk mail on Saturdays.

9. montyhp

montyhp Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    South Texas
    The great thing about private industry is they will adapt. They will figure out how to move livestock efficiently and lobby congress to change any rules that prevent moving livestock.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by