PoultryPam

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 16, 2010
Alamance County North Carolina
hit.gif
barnie.gif
hit.gif
I had ordered chicks and all weren't ready at the same time so some got shipped on Tue. and they arrived Thur. morning. No problem everybody was alive and healthy. The Blue Cochins were sent out on Wed. and I though o.k they should be here on Fri. morning.... Well here it is, Mon. and no blue cochins.. it breaks my heart to know 7 little babies got lost in the mail and starved to death sitting in a box in who knows where. The hatchery is sending out another shipment this week but I'm scared to death the mail service will lose them again. Will it do any good to file a complaint with the post office? Looks like they would realize these are live babies and they need to get to where they are going so they can get food and water. Bye the way.... the Hatchery people were so nice and helpful, they put up with all my worried phone calls and answered all my questions. This was my first time ordering chicks in the mail so I was extremely nervous anyway. Has this ever happened to anyone here and what did you do? Thanks guys.

I am so sorry this happened to you! It is good that the hatchery is working with you and being so good about it, though. I have heard/read many horror stories about these things happening.
I just got my first mail order chicks last Sunday, and I was expecting them to arrive Monday, so I didn't have time to get nervous about it! Thankfully, my situation went off without a hitch. I got a call from the sorting center, and they gave me the option to go fetch them, or wait for them to come to me 24 hours later..I wasn't ABOUT to leave my babies in a box for a whole extra day unnecessarily! I hope everything works out for you...my son's friend has a blue cochin and she is sweet! I think I may want one myself!
Best wishes!
Keri

It seems to me the hatcheries could do some education programs to educate the po about chicks in shipment. Maybe put a "best delivered by" date on them.

IF, The Po does call and tell you they are there. Be sure to open the box infront of an employee! I would ask for a supervisor and make them write out a statement as to the condition of the chicks!!! I am sure they will all be DOA!
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
Make them look and see what they did! It wont help any but it would make me feel a lil better forcing atleast one of them to see what their carelessness does! I had no problems with my order from Ideal. Ofcourse i live close to them. But I know some PO employees do care and are very careful with the babies. BUT! I also know of some who could not careless if it was a brick of live fuzzy butts!! Its all just mail and boxes ( throw it, kick it, sling it, crush it, and those dreadful killing machines!!!!!) Get it there how ever you can!

I wish you all the best!
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Good Luck and God Bless!

I have no experience at all of ordering chicks mail order BUT I do have a lot of experience with postal services.
You MUST complain to them, you need to get the mailing information from the hatchery and you should also find out how the hatchery marks their boxes (your first box would do fine), armed with that information go to the post office and ask them to find your box.

If they say it's at another post office, get them to get it sent to your local post office where you will pick it up - don't let them send it to your house, it's very unlikely to be your local postmans problem.

When they find your box ('Duh..OK... here it is, we put it under this shelf for safekeeping') open the box in front of them and show them the contents.

Then tell them to make sure that every package sent to your address is treated as if a life depended on it, because in this case it does.

Post Offices can fast track parcels no problem, they sometimes just need reminded that it's not acceptable to leave packages until tomorrow unless they know what is in them. Don't be afraid of feeling that you're asking for better service than the next guy, so few people ask for favors these days that even the post office should be able to treat your packages as priority packages. If the PO worker that you speak to isn't overly helpful just ask to see their manager. I'm not sure how it works in the US but most service type workers would be reprimanded if someone asked to speak to their manager and they refused, and subsequently the manager was contacted and informed of the refusal. If all else fails, go through the Postal Service complaints procedure, you may only get a letter saying 'Sorry, we try hard not to let this happen and we will learn from our mistakes' or you might get some compensation over and above the cost of chicks and delivery.

Don't forget, it's your right to complain about poor service.

I hope your next lot arrive OK

Thanks everyone, The chicks were from Ideal and they CLEARLY mark the boxes "LIVE CHICKS". My phone number was on the first box in several locations so not much chance they missed it. Not to mention I was calling twice a day to see if they had come in yet. I let them know on Thur. when I picked up the first batch that I would be expecting more the next day and to PLEASE call as soon as they came in but no phone call. I called them at 7am Fri morning. No chicks. They said they would have more trucks coming in in the afternoon so I called again around 4pm. No chicks. I called again Sat. morning still no chicks. They closed at noon so I knew then there was no way I was gonna get live chicks. If they do ever call and I have to go open up a box of dead babies in front of them...... well lets just say DH will probably have to drag me out the door cause somebodys gonna get a very nasty lecture on the importance of Live things intrusted to the PO.
barnie.gif
:

Last edited:
Oh jeez, I just ordered my first chicks online, due to arrive June 23rd and now I'm freaking out! If my PO loses them, I am going to yell at them SO much! That is SO not cool!

I was so reluctant to order through the mail due to this very reason. That is why we picked them up at the feed store.

So sorry for all your worry and concern for these poor baby birds who are suffering from someone's stupid mistake.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom