Postal System lost my chicks

The same thing happened to me. Extremely rare birds that weren't day olds. Mine were 3 days when shipped and I was very worried. Sent express from Atlanta to St. Louis and they lost them.
They showed up after 2 days and I had my camera ready to photograph the dead chicks.
All 21 Black Penedesencas were alive and well. I was amazed and they're laying beautiful egg as we speak.

I hope you have the same luck.

Were the chicks shipped priority or express???????

From the first post, since they were guaranteed to arrive the next day, I am pretty sure they were shipped express. Also since birds older than day old can only go express, since these were not day old chicks but a few weeks old.

I believe they were shipped express. They left Wisconsin on Tuesday, and were guaranteed to arrive at my post office by 3 pm on Wednesday. Today is Friday, and I have been told by the USPS that they will be at my post office at 11 am today.

Poor chicks!
hit.gif

I'm subscribing, because I want to hear if any made it

USPS does not guarantee live animals. You should be able to get a refund for the amount of shipping but you will not be able to get a refund from the post office for the cost of the birds.

I have been shipping live animals with USPS for over 6 years. You have to read the fine print when it comes to refund. Packages get lost all the time and they do not investigate what happens to them. With the millions of packages that are shipped daily some are bound to get lost. I have had it happen a few times. Being nice gets you alot father than calling and demanding to know where the package is.

I wish your bird luck and hope they arrive safe and sound.

Good news and bad news. Mostly good. The chicks finally arrived at 11 am today. Almost 3 full days to get here from the time they were shipped on Tuesday. 3 were dead, 6 were alive, but a bit weak. Terry Lund suggested that I bring sugar water with me to give to them right away. Wow, what a difference that made! One bird was so weak it couldn't stand up anymore. It's head dropped into the water when I put it next to the cup for it to drink. Once it realized there was water, it just started sucking it up like crazy! The other birds too. They drank for about 5 minutes, then I put some food in with them for the 15 minute ride home. We got home and I put them in the brooder, and they all spent another 45 minutes eating and drinking. As their empty little digestive systems started working, they started passing gas. Then eventually all pooped. Then they ate and drank some more. Finally, with bulging crops, they all laid down together and dozed off. As they ate and drank, we could actually see them getting stronger again. It was something! They are beautiful birds and I am very grateful that 6 made it. Even though it was not at all his fault, Terry Lund told me that he would send me some more birds later this spring. I feel like for these 6 birds to survive this ordeal he must be breeding some pretty tough ones. They are very pretty and once they got some food and water into them they became very alert and curious. I am very happy with these chickens. Thank you Lund Poulltry!

ChickenCanoe, I am in DeSoto, just south of St. Louis! Hope you're making it through the snow and ice ok!

I thought of that too ChickenCanoe, and I did take pics. Not sure if it will do any good, but I have them anyway. The postmaster at our post office also signed a paper stating that 3 chicks were dead and that they were sent express mail and did not make it on time. I will file a claim and see if I can get at least the express mail fee returned to me. I am angry over the situation but I'm not going postal...ha ha. Everyone at my post office thanked me for being so nice to them. The postmaster thanked me for not throwing anything at him. I laughed, but I'm guessing that's happened to him before! Even in a situation like this, going off on them would only make me look bad. I was firm when I talked to customer service, but respectful. I thanked the lady there for putting me through to her supervisor, and thanked the supervisor for getting me information on where my birds were. Life goes on :)

Back
Top Bottom