POSTER GOT ME WONDERING--FEED SURVEY???

I've purchased Layena and Dumore, and I picked up a brochure on Blue Seal, but never used it....

I haven't had the chance to do a price comparison...

Is Blue Seal cheaper? Anyone know?

Dove

d.k :

* BUGS are pricey!! Just got some waxworms, mealworms and 8 crickets for Miss Perky, she who is not too keen on regular feed. . . The crickets were 15 cents EACH, for crying out loud!! I think I am in the wrong business!
hmm.png

Hey, you can find bugs outside for free, you know.
wink.png
We keep a few good sized rocks on the ground, and every once in a while, I call my birds over and lift 'em up. Underneath is a whole smorgassboard of bugs: nightcrawlers, millipedes, earwigs, slugs, spiders, you name it! The chickens just love it! Keep your cash, and go find yourself a few rocks, an old log, a flower pot, or somethin' D. K.
lol.png

I am currently feeding Purina Layena crumble. My girls seem to be doing really well on it, like it, and the eggs/shells seem to be in good condition. I also feed a variety of fruit and veggies along with letting them free range and forage for seeds and bugs/worms. Seems they will eat just about anything. I thought about switching to organic feed, but in these harder times, I guess I gotta stick with what I can do. And $12.35 for a 50# bag of Layena seems pretty reasonable to me. It is cheep-er than my dog food bill anyway!!!
wink.png

* From what I have read just recently, mash and maybe even crumbles may not be great ideas for adult birds long-term. I'd have to hunt to find the link again if ya'll are interested, but it claimed that crop and gizzard atrophy could result, and surprisingly, that they may get even LESS nutrition because of less digestive action in the gut. Shocked the heck out of me, and I'd just gotten 5O# of crumbles, too!!! Chicken science is fascinating. As to finding bugs outside, we've got an endless supply of lizards, toads and other competative bug-hunters besides the chickens here, don't forget. . . .Birds can't live on mosquitoes and rollie-pollies alone for long. And Chook at least, doesn't like palmetto bugs. Did find a wolf spider in a closet today-- but I killed it before I remembered the chickens!! Maybe in Oregon it will be easier to supply bugs!!

Last edited:
I like to get my feed from the local organic grain mill. It's all grown locally and it's not much more expensive than the conventionally grown feed from the feed store. It looks like real food, instead of kibble, and smells fabulous! Alas, the chickens don't seem to notice the difference
smile.png
But I do.

d.k :

* From what I have read just recently, mash and maybe even crumbles may not be great ideas for adult birds long-term. I'd have to hunt to find the link again if ya'll are interested, but it claimed that crop and gizzard atrophy could result, and surprisingly, that they may get even LESS nutrition because of less digestive action in the gut. Shocked the heck out of me, and I'd just gotten 5O# of crumbles, too!!! Chicken science is fascinating. As to finding bugs outside, we've got an endless supply of lizards, toads and other competative bug-hunters besides the chickens here, don't forget. . . .Birds can't live on mosquitoes and rollie-pollies alone for long. And Chook at least, doesn't like palmetto bugs. Did find a wolf spider in a closet today-- but I killed it before I remembered the chickens!! Maybe in Oregon it will be easier to supply bugs!!

Thanks for sharing about the crumbles and mash. I was wondering why it came in pellets. Now I know. We feed what we can get here. Nutrena and Dumor are really my only options. Prefer the Nutrena and the local feed store price is better than TSC by $1.50 per 50#.​

d.k :

* From what I have read just recently, mash and maybe even crumbles may not be great ideas for adult birds long-term. I'd have to hunt to find the link again if ya'll are interested....

Please post your reference. I am sceptical by nature and would like to review the literature you cite.

Jim​

Back
Top Bottom