Posts are scaring me!

Gee Wiz, now im scared. I read all the post on dead chicks and im in a panic. I have 25 coming from Mcmurrays on march 16th. I live in SE Ohio and they are out in MO...i dont know what to do. I just ordered 2 days ago. I could cancel my order and get chick locally but they did not have the Buff Brahmas that i wanted.

I ordered 2 buff brahma's, 2 black australorps, 2 silver lacede wyandottes, 2 buff orpingtons, 2 partridge rocks, 2 RI Reds and 12 white rocks.

I do have time to cancel my order or change it. Do all of these chickens get along? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DON'T USE NEWSPAPER!! I've read so many books, and all of them say to not use NEWSPAPER because it is not grippy enugh so it can cause spraddle leg!!! Beware!
hmm.png

Quote:
Herechickychick, good warning on newspaper, but further down this thread is a discussion on covering newspaper with screen so they can get their footing. Also, further down is a warning on using uncovered shavings for newbies.

Quote:
These birds should get along fine. According to Henderson's Breed Chart (google henderson's breed chart,a good resource) the Wyandottes are usually docile but can be aggressive. But any individual of any breed can be aggressive. And there will be a pecking order in the flock no matter what breed you get. It will be a pretty flock.

As far as cancelling the order, you have risks no matter what you do. There was a thread on here yesterday, maybe one you saw, where someone got chicks locally and many died. They were from a hatchery which most local chicks in feed stores are.

You could probably find individuals in your area that would sell you chicks, but it is highly unlikely you'll get the breeds you want from one person. If you go to more than one individual, you have the risk of getting a diseased chick in your flock. And if you get different aged chicks, you can't keep them in the same brooder. The older ones would pick on the younger, maybe killing them. Or you can go to a swap meet in your area and get grown chickens. You still have the risk of bringing a diseased chicken home. People do it successfully all the time, but I'm just saying there is a risk.

You are ordering in mid-March. It is not a bad time to order, but the weather is unpredictable. If you get a freakish condition, like our recent ice storm, your risks go up. But they are called freakish conditions becasue they are unusual. I don't know of any postal holidays then, so that reduces a risk. My brother, who works for the post office, said they were undergoing mail count (how many parcels are delivered so they can adjust routes). I don't know if that disrupted service or not.

I'm not going to say not to worry. I'll worry when mine ship. I'm not going to say everything will be fine. You'll probably have some difficulties and disappointments raising these chicks. But if you lay in bed all day to avoid an accident you risk getting bedsores. I'd suggest taking the risk. The potential joy you'll get out of it is worth it.

We have our first chicks. I used newspaper the first day not knowing anything about chicks. We switched to paper towels due to the ease of cleanup.

We ordered from MM, I thinks my birds arived at the postoffice on monday, but it was a holiday so we didn't get then till tuesday. We lost three in the box, and three more that day. I called MM and they will just add the lost birds to my next order. We ended up loosing 12 total, mostly my fault I didn't have the brooder ready, (we were not expecting the birds till thursday) and I think the chicks got to cold? They are now one week old and doing great. My 10 year old has really taken to them and really watches them. The next order will be here in April, this batch will be in the tractor, and the babies will have a nice home waiting for them.

If I can get a nice weekend I can get the coop finished!

One thing I would watch out for with that many chicks are little ones getting caught in a corner and getting trampled. I have had this happen a few times when I have gotten chicks from McMurray, and it is usually the first or second day when they are still really small. Now we set up several brooders and keep the group size at about 8-10. And I check them every few hours to make sure they are all comfortable.

I LOVE all of the good advice on this thread! My babies are coming at the end of next month, too. I'm a little nervous, but I've done this once before. I had a clutch of 6, and they would all huddle together to sleep every night--make sure you get some photos of this!!!

FOR what's it worth...when they're bigger you WILL want to use pine shavings. Save yourself some money and buy LARGE!! Feed stores carry 30-40 pound blocks wrapped in plastic for around $5-$6, maybe a little more. Pet Stores, carry tiny amounts meant for pet mice or guinea pigs. You'll pay a lot more.

The ONLY animal that I've been able to use cedar shavings with is rabbits. Horses and chickens can be poisoned by the cedar. The chicks consume it and die, and the horses get sick because they soak it up through their hooves.

You're gonna have so much fun!! But, they are really loud....prepare yourself...

Back
Top Bottom