Potato question!

aziegler17

Chirping
Premium Feather Member
Aug 16, 2023
Ohio
Just harvested my potatos. This is my first year trying potatos.
They look like this. Are these still safe to consume? They have a wrinkle like appearance but are still firm. No soft spots. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230926_125330.jpg
    20230926_125330.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 72
I would peel the potatoes, cook them, and eat them.

(I usually peel potatoes anyway, so I haven't paid careful attention to whether there is any reason to avoid eating skins with odd-looking textures.)

I would peel the potatoes, cook them, and eat them.

(I usually peel potatoes anyway, so I haven't paid careful attention to whether there is any reason to avoid eating skins with odd-looking textures.)
I was planning to make mashed potatos out of them.
So I am assuming then if the potato when peeled is still firm it's safe to eat?

I was planning to make mashed potatos out of them.
So I am assuming then if the potato when peeled is still firm it's safe to eat?
Yes, if you peel the potato and it looks & feels fine, then it should be safe to cook and eat.

(Green potatoes would be different-- don't eat potatoes that have turned green. They can be just as dangerous as the green leaves of the potato plant.)

Yes, if you peel the potato and it looks & feels fine, then it should be safe to cook and eat.

(Green potatoes would be different-- don't eat potatoes that have turned green. They can be just as dangerous as the green leaves of the potato plant.)
Fingers crossed no green brown or black spots when I peel them tonight 🤞

They look safe to me. I got a bunch this year that look pretty green. Might just toss em or experiment with planting them now to overwinter them for next season. But yeah, those look fine - maybe just slightly under developed?

They look safe to me. I got a bunch this year that look pretty green. Might just toss em or experiment with planting them now to overwinter them for next season. But yeah, those look fine - maybe just slightly under developed?
Exposed to light. But the green indicates presence of a certain compound not good to eat.

Are these still safe to consume?
Yes! Even if they had a blemish or looked like a bug started to nibble, if firm then peel, cut out any spots/eyes, and enjoy! Sometimes there can be a hollow cavity inside a potato-maybe too much rain at one point. But, those are fine to eat. So, black and brown or mush on a potato are the things to remove or to toss the whole thing if too much is impacted.

When a potato is growing, sometimes they break through the soil- cover them with dirt so they don’t develop green. If green, cut away the green part and don’t eat, but the non-green parts are safe.

Yes! Even if they had a blemish or looked like a bug started to nibble, if firm then peel, cut out any spots/eyes, and enjoy! Sometimes there can be a hollow cavity inside a potato-maybe too much rain at one point. But, those are fine to eat. So, black and brown or mush on a potato are the things to remove or to toss the whole thing if too much is impacted.

When a potato is growing, sometimes they break through the soil- cover them with dirt so they don’t develop green. If green, cut away the green part and don’t eat, but the non-green parts are safe.
Nothing like grabbing a bag of potatoes and finding a rotten one 🤢🤣

Back
Top Bottom