potato tomato

berkeleysprings

Songster
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
Berkeleysprings West Virginia
i dont know much about gardening but last year in a small patch that measures 10 x 15 ft i tried to grow potatos last year and didnt do well
and this comeing spring i want to try tomatos in the same soil . i was wondering if there was anything wrong with that or if i need to treat the soil ?
thanks , randy

Potatoes and tomatoes are in the same family and should be rotated every year or so, but in a pinch, and since you only grew potatoes there once, you could try it. There are a lot of great easy ways to grow potatoes, google "growing potatoes" and a lot of great ideas should come up! To help take care of any pest problems, intersperse your tomato plants with herbs like basil and oregano, and flowers like marigolds and asters. You can also grow a few onions in there as well.

Last edited:
Heirloom tomatoes are wonderful, the taste is SO much better! I always grow a couple modern hybrid tomato plants too though, just in case the heirlooms don't make it! Mixing up other plants in your planting beds helps confuse the insect pests and some people think it makes your veggies taste better!

If you have problems with early blight, or it is in the area, it will overwinter on any tubers left in the ground so make sure you have dug and discarded every one. Tomato and potato diseases are common, in fact early blight of tomatoes is the same bacteria that caused the infamous Irish Potato Famine.

Back
Top Bottom