POTATOES!!! *PICS added!*

Quote:
those are perfect.. jvls1942=jiminwisc=jim

if you cut your potato seeds keep a chunk of potato about the size of a chicken egg with each eye.. I very seldom cut potato seeds.. they seem to have a tendancy to rot for me..

.......jiminwisc..........

Quote:
those are perfect.. jvls1942=jiminwisc=jim

if you cut your potato seeds keep a chunk of potato about the size of a chicken egg with each eye.. I very seldom cut potato seeds.. they seem to have a tendancy to rot for me..

.......jiminwisc..........

Thanks Jim. Ill go snag some potates tomorrow.

I was thinking it was too late as well. Now you guys got me thinking that I just may start some tomorrow. I thought I had to wait until next year.

Thanks everyone!!

"Honey guess what? We're planting taters today!!" ROFL!!

hubby's really gonna hate me coming up here on BYC!

Laurie

I tried it for the first time this year..... I was told that if I planted in rows, and kept heaping up dirt/compost that I would have better results and shield the plants from the heat? I guess when the ground finally gets too warm the growth stops? Not sure..........
smile.png
I'd like a lil more info if ya'll know where to send me. I've got 2 rows in that have plants sprouted to about 10" right now.

We chose Yukon Golds because they are an early maturer.
This is our first year in zone 1 and the growing season is short.
We planted early corn and early girl tomatoes. We have one brandywine, but I dont' have big hopes of it making it. I will probably end up picking them green and letting them ripen in the house.

Quote:
how are you supposed to shield them from the heat?? you can't.

just do not let the ground dry out around the plants.. you do not want standing water, either.. normally your rain will give enough moisture.. Nut. If it is a really dry summer, then you will have to water the plants..

it is helpful to hill the potato plants

this makes it easier to find the rows afterr the plants dry up and all but disapear.. and it keeps the poatoes from showing up on top of the gound.. If you can see the setting potatoes, cover them with dirt, compost or straw.. If the sun hits the potato for too long they turn green.. not a good thing..

Can see this turning into a big big thread...... I saw on the TV the other day a gardening programme that said, not to worry about buildng up the soil etc round potatoes as the tops grow, just plant them deep and let them get on with it, other tan watering etc when necessary....... so I did just that, planted them at the bottom of the bucket, and yep up to now the tops are growing well.... just have to wait and see if any potatoes grow as well.... anyone else held of just planting them and leaving them to it?

Back
Top Bottom