Potential respiratory issue (rails &cough) after deworming?

BantamBre

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2022
Hello everyone, I had a worm overload in my flock, so I’ve been treating with fendbendazole, all the birds that were lethargic and had swollen crops are no longer swollen and definitely show more energy.
Today however, my buff Orpington/cross roo was sneezing/coughing. His head was in the oyster shell bucket so I thought maybe it was from the dust. But I noticed his red skin around his eyes looked paler than usual so I decided to bring him in. He ate some garlic and some feed. We sat for a while and listening to his breathing it sounded kinda rattled, and his coughs are kinda whoopy.
Here’s a video of his breathing . I put Vetrx on his nasal pathways to hopefully give relief. No drainage from nose or eyes. He had his last dose of fenBend this morning, so I don’t think it’s due to gapeworm. His poop was green 3 days ago but I figure it’s because they’re pasture/free ranger. He drank water and is eating. Right now he is sleeping under the peach tree in my separate pasture (gated off from the rest of the flock)
His breathing doesn’t sound bad and he hasn’t coughed since coming back out (I sat for about 30 minutes just to monitor) He pooped again (picture attached) and it looks kinda runny but not near as colorful
He hasn’t been singing today. Yesterday he was running around and acting himself. I have a video link of his breathing sound.
Please let me know if I should start on antibiotics, and how long I should keep him from the others?
I don’t know if they’ve already been exposed, I just got past all the wormings and plan to do it again in about 10 days.
Potential concerns:
I gave my broody hens a few chicks from a hatchery that were vaccinated (I’m not sure the hens I have had ever had any vaccinations due to coming from tractors, the chicks have been here for three weeks with no prior issue but now I’m just trying to rule out potential causes)
I have some meat birds that I recently got (came from same source as other chicks) and I keep them completely separated from the flock (because they’ll be processed soon) but they do get outside access (about 30 feet away from the others) I’m scared
of potentially cross contamination?
Our neighbors have chickens too, but theirs are only about 8-10 feet away from our property. (But we haven’t had any real problems other than a few trespassing roosters)
We have a ton of wild birds that fly through, especially song birds that like to try to get in to get grains.
Please let me know what you would recommend. Should I just monitor the rest of the flock, or give them extra to boost their immunity?
Does anyone have any experience with coughing with no discharge or anything similar?
Thank you for your time

IMG_0418.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0426.jpeg
    IMG_0426.jpeg
    562.3 KB · Views: 6
What's his age and diet?
Green poop are usually from not eating.
Be careful with the garlic, and can harm/kill him if he gets too much.
Good to know with the garlic. He’s about 8 months old, they have 16% layer feed from a local mill in hanging feeders, occasional scratch grains, oyster shells and grit , they have free access to grass/weeds. He has a chipped beak, so I’m wondering if he’s having trouble getting food in? He’s out in the grass hunting and pecking right now

Good to know with the garlic. He’s about 8 months old, they have 16% layer feed from a local mill in hanging feeders, occasional scratch grains, oyster shells and grit , they have free access to grass/weeds. He has a chipped beak, so I’m wondering if he’s having trouble getting food in? He’s out in the grass hunting and pecking right now
Roosters shouldn't really hay layer feed, it has too much calcium. If your mill has a starter or flock feed with atleast 18% protein, I'd switch to that.

Can you feel his crop?

Roosters shouldn't really hay layer feed, it has too much calcium. If your mill has a starter or flock feed with atleast 18% protein, I'd switch to that.

Can you feel his crop?
Okay, I will look into that, would I need to have a separate feeder for later feed? Or would the flock feed be fine enough for the hens too?
His crop feels like it has food in it, he just drank water so I did feel some fluid, but it didn’t seem to bother him when I was feeling it, it’s not full, but there’s definitely feed in there.
His color seems more vivid around his eye, and he pooped again, still watery but it looks identical to the one posted. Should I just keep him separated and try the flock feeder to see if that helps? Would the layer feed be the cause of the weird respiratory issues though?
I haven’t heard him cough since this morning, but he still hasn’t crowed. It’s been very quiet today, and that’s really unusual for my flock

Can you feel his crop?
I just spoke to the mill on the phone and they said that they don’t have an all flock in the local but they do have a starter in a 21% and a grower in an 18%? Would that be okay to give to my boys, or should I venture to Oerschlyns and check out what they have in the way of all flock?

Okay, I will look into that, would I need to have a separate feeder for later feed? Or would the flock feed be fine enough for the hens too?
His crop feels like it has food in it, he just drank water so I did feel some fluid, but it didn’t seem to bother him when I was feeling it, it’s not full, but there’s definitely feed in there.
His color seems more vivid around his eye, and he pooped again, still watery but it looks identical to the one posted. Should I just keep him separated and try the flock feeder to see if that helps? Would the layer feed be the cause of the weird respiratory issues though?
I haven’t heard him cough since this morning, but he still hasn’t crowed. It’s been very quiet today, and that’s really unusual for my flock

I just spoke to the mill on the phone and they said that they don’t have an all flock in the local but they do have a starter in a 21% and a grower in an 18%? Would that be okay to give to my boys, or should I venture to Oerschlyns and check out what they have in the way of all flock?
The grower is great for everyone, 16% protein is the minimum hens need, they actually need more protein.
Any new bird in the flock?

The grower is great for everyone, 16% protein is the minimum hens need, they actually need more protein.
Okay, I’ll probably switch to the grower then. Yes, The chicks that I put with my broody hens are fairly new.

Yes, The chicks that I put with my broody hens are fairly new.
He just pooped again while I was out there and it was milky watery

He doesn’t look or sound too bad. I have always feed my rooster with my hens layer feed, and sometimes used all flock/flock raiser feed as well with no problems. Chick starter/grower is okay, but make sure the hens have access to crushed oyster shell for extra calcium/egg shells. The poop looks fairly normal, and they can vary from time to time. I would just keep an eye on him.

Back
Top Bottom