Potential sour crop?

TJ1000

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2021
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got a 4 year old hen and over the past day she's not been eating and she has been flicking her head every so often (looks like she's trying to swallow something). We tried to empty her crop and some thick beige/cream liquid came out of her mouth with some little white solid bits in it.
The crop felt squishy and slightly too big (considering that she hasn't eaten today) - since emptying it, the crop feels somewhat smaller now.
Could this be sour crop?

Stop emptying the crop... if you’re smell an odor then it has soured and manual crop emptying is useless and will cause more harm than good. First step - separate, STOP feeding. The food is not getting to the stomach and any did you offer will sit in the crop adding to the yeast infection which is sour crop. They are so many opinions on the treatment for sour crop, so I’m going to summon some experts.

@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock

Stop emptying the crop... if you’re smell an odor then it has soured and manual crop emptying is useless and will cause more harm than good. First step - separate, STOP feeding. The food is not getting to the stomach and any did you offer will sit in the crop adding to the yeast infection which is sour crop. They are so many opinions on the treatment for sour crop, so I’m going to summon some experts.

@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock
Thank you. We've stopped emptying her crop and we're not feeding her (she's not interested in food or drink anyway). I've heard that nystatin is good but I haven't got any at hand - is antifungal medication necessary for treating sour crop?

Thank you. We've stopped emptying her crop and we're not feeding her (she's not interested in food or drink anyway). I've heard that nystatin is good but I haven't got any at hand - is antifungal medication necessary for treating sour crop?
When it gets to a certain point, I have heard of people using monistat (the lady vaginal cream - I know - ugh). It it yeast you want to treat, not fungus.

Oh right - is that given through her mouth?!
Yes they use a syringe - weigh the bird to get the amount needed. I would google this bc again Im just repeating what I’ve read several times on here regarding sour crop. Also, if you use your search bar and type in sour crop and search the articles, you’ll find tons of info. I’m just not technically savvy and am having a hard time copying one of the articles to paste for you here.

If you are detecting a sour smell, then treating her with a yeast or anti-fungal medication is important. You can use Nystatin if you have that on hand. Vaginal yeast cream or athlete's foot cream will work as well. This is outlined in the article below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

She needs to be drinking so push fluids. Not eating for a day or two is not that problematic, but she does need to stay hydrated.

@Aapomp831 LOL You are right! There's a lot of opinions and methods used on treating crop issues. I think if one finds a method that works for them that's great! I've tried a few and found that what Carol has written has worked for me several times. IF I find that it doesn't for some reason, then I switch it up and see what else can be done - I try to be flexible if possible🙂

@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock

If you are detecting a sour smell, then treating her with a yeast or anti-fungal medication is important. You can use Nystatin if you have that on hand. Vaginal yeast cream or athlete's foot cream will work as well. This is outlined in the article below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

She needs to be drinking so push fluids. Not eating for a day or two is not that problematic, but she does need to stay hydrated.

@Aapomp831 LOL You are right! There's a lot of opinions and methods used on treating crop issues. I think if one finds a method that works for them that's great! I've tried a few and found that what Carol has written has worked for me several times. IF I find that it doesn't for some reason, then I switch it up and see what else can be done - I try to be flexible if possible🙂
Great, I will bookmark that article so I have it handy. Thanks so much! I’m just traumatized bc I killed my favorite girl by vomiting her bc I went to google instead of here 😞

Great, I will bookmark that article so I have it handy. Thanks so much! I’m just traumatized bc I killed my favorite girl by vomiting her bc I went to google instead of here 😞
Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that:(
They can choke easily when there's a lot of fluid - even if you aren't trying to vomit them.
Read through that article and even the comments - Carol gives a lot of info in there too.
I have used her method(s) several times and have had good results depending on whatever else is going on with the hen. Often there's an underlying condition (for mine, reproductive issues) that is at the core of a crop not emptying properly. If the hen is in bad shape, then sometimes all you can do is treat symptoms, make them comfortable and access them daily (sometimes hourly unfortunately).

Back
Top Bottom