Potters?

Glass can melt at lower temperatures than low fire clay fires. You can melt you glass into molds at lower tempertures depending on the composition of the glass. Just like different ingredients affect the melting point in low fire and stoneware glazes, the composition of the glass you are using will have different melting points.

Does your kiln have a temp set or do you use cones to visibly trip the off release? Is it an Amaco?

Yes, drill the hole to help the glass release. Make sure you have fireproof gloves and good tongs. Keep your hair pulled back and covered and wear long sleeves....no synthetics.

You will need good protection to remove the molten glass from the kiln to "droop" it over a bowl. Have you been there when your friend has done hers? Observing technique is valuable.

Since your lid has electric coils, you will want to be careful setting that lid back and reaching into the kiln to get your glass. 14-1800 degrees can cause some serious burns. The quick change in temperatures over time can cause some damage to your coils...so close your lid once your glass is removed. This helps equalize the temperature of the coils on the lid with the retained heat in the rest of the kiln.

Do you have an asbestos pad to set your mold on so you can close your kiln? If not, might be a good time to have another person there to assist you the first several times you practice. If you mold is big enough you could set it on an 8 x 8 x 16 cinder block that is turned so the openings are up.
The close your lid and then droop the soft glass over the shape you are using.

If you are making flat tiles, those can be melted in the kiln on the shelves and allowed to cool just like doing a load of clay. Once cooled, the glass can be tapped off the shelf or out of the mold and brushed. Score and cut the glass the grind the edges.

I have wanted to do pottery for years and years.... I am really shy about attending classes and wanted to tinker with teaching myself... until I found out that even a used pottery wheel was WAY out of my price league....

Guess for now, I'll have to keep soaping!! But someday I'll do pottery.

Don't be shy about taking pottery classes. In the four years I have taken, I cannot say that even one person has come through the class that was not friendly and easy to talk to. Some do not stick around for long, but several of us have been there for quite a while. It's a wonderful social outlet. We all talk about building our own studios, but we don't want to stop class because we say it's our therapy! lol

My fav clay is a white stoneware. My teacher mixes most of her own glazes (which I am trying to talk her into teaching us!). I have two favorites-a sapphire blue, and then a jade green that I put over underglazes that I have rubbed into the veins of leaves that I press into clay. Love both of those.

When I get home I will try to post pics of some of my work. My last raku pieces turned out very well. Right now, I want to make some mugs. Have never done very many, so I never got good at them. They'd make good gifts and might be something I could sell, so I want to work on that. Most of my work involves leaves or some sort of natural element. Love incorporating texture into the pieces.

Nana,

My kiln is a Paragon Janus...set it & forget it model.

I had just planned on melting the glass into round discs (fire 1) & then draping over upsidedown bowl (fire 2). I usually fire alone, so opening & sticking my hands in a hot kiln really isn't a safe option for me at this time. I haven't watched my friend fire her bottles (she's in OH, I'm in MO) but I think she just peeks through the peep hole...her kiln involves flipping switches. I think I need to take a class from you first
big_smile.png

Noel, I've been saying pottery was my therapy for years...classes are great, you just go play. Now that I have my own studio, I have to pay more attention...definitely a trade-off...kinda miss the classes.

Last edited:
until I found out that even a used pottery wheel was WAY out of my price league....

You don't need a wheel. Many, many forms can be slab built or coil built. This is how the Navajo and Pueblo build their beautiful pots. I taught myself handbuilding from a book. All it takes is clay and the willingness to experiment. I bought my kiln used for $120. It was old when I bought it and I have used it for years and years. They really are built to last. The materials themselves are not expensive either--it's the shipping that's the killer, but if you are within driving distance of a good supplier, this does not have to be an expensive proposition. There are tons of good used books on the subject available. I bought all of mine second-hand via Amazon.

HTH

Rusty​

Somewhere in my files....probably in the attic...I have instructions for building a kickwheel using plywood and a shaft from an old washing machine.
If I can't find it again, maybe an internet search is in order.

I learned to throw pots on a kickwheel when I was in college taking art classes for my teaching degree.
I had a great textbook and several years ago was able to find an updated version on Amazon.

When I taught art in school, students learned all hand building techniques before getting on a wheel. Sculpture was also included in the class.

Later I was involved with our arts center in a studio class at our fairgrounds. That was a lot of fun and great interaction with other adults. We used an oxygen reduction gas kiln, pugged our own clay formulas, glaze formulas and kept the clay dust there instead of our homes.

rakuleafbowls1.jpg

My most recent pieces from a raku firing. These are probably some of my best. I was very happy with them...had offers to buy a couple, but they were already designated as gifts. Going to try to get a good selection of pieces together to see about selling in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom