Poul-vite measurements

The Farmers' Daughter

Bob's biggest Fan
Aug 2, 2017
Darwell Alberta
Hi all.
Just going into lockdown.
In preparation I'm getting brooding materials set up.

My question is, how much Poul-vite goes into how much water. The package instructions indicate adding a certain weight amount to a gazillion litres of water. I'm just wanting to figure out how many tsp. Per gallon. I tried working it out and came up with 1/4 tsp. Does that sound right?

Define "certain weight amount to a gazillion litres of water" and I can help you reduce that to a more manageable volume.

Is it "100 g (1 package) in each 180 L of drinking water"?

If so, .6 grams per litre. Often fine to up the dose a bit. So if you have a gram scale, I would put 2.5 grams per gallon.

I don't know the density of that powder, but 4.2 grams equals a teaspoon of sugar. So if you want to assume the vitamins weigh the same as sugar, then you want 6/10ths of a teaspoon. Might as well round up again and do 2/3rds of a teaspoon.

If you wanted exact math, and we assume sugar weighs the same as the vitamins, you want to dose 0.5291005291005291 teaspoons per gallon.

Last edited:
Define "certain weight amount to a gazillion litres of water" and I can help you reduce that to a more manageable volume.

Is it "100 g (1 package) in each 180 L of drinking water"?

If so, .6 grams per litre. Often fine to up the dose a bit. So if you have a gram scale, I would put 2.5 grams per gallon.

I don't know the density of that powder, but 4.2 grams equals a teaspoon of sugar. So if you want to assume the vitamins weigh the same as sugar, then you want 6/10ths of a teaspoon. Might as well round up again and do 2/3rds of a teaspoon.

If you wanted exact math, and we assume sugar weighs the same as the vitamins, you want to dose 0.5291005291005291 teaspoons per gallon.
Thanks. That's exactly what the package says. My scale weighs in 10g measurements, so I took that and broke it down from there. ... 10g is 12 tsp.... That's what would go into 5 gallons. So I divided it by 5 to get a gallon. I came out with 2 1/3 tsp. Does that sound about right?

10g being 12 tsp sounds way off to me. Since you know a package is 100 grams, can you do two things.

1. Dump it all out and see if your scale says 100 grams. See if the scale agrees with the package.
2. Measure that entire package powder volume in a measuring cup. Whatever the smallest is that holds it all with some overflow. Measure the overflow with teaspoons/tablespoons. Doing this you will know with some accuracy how much volume is in 100 grams of powder. Then it is as simple as figuring out how to dose around 2.5 grams per gallon. Whatever volume that is.

Or.....go on Amazon and buy a better scale. I have used the following and it works great. Seems to go thru batteries fast, but otherwise works great for measuring very small amounts of things.

American Weigh Digital Personal Nutrition Scale
by American Weigh Scales
Link: http://a.co/4XJqRwq
100g X 0.01g Resolution

Hi all.
Just going into lockdown.
In preparation I'm getting brooding materials set up.

My question is, how much Poul-vite goes into how much water. The package instructions indicate adding a certain weight amount to a gazillion litres of water. I'm just wanting to figure out how many tsp. Per gallon. I tried working it out and came up with 1/4 tsp. Does that sound right?

I just got some from my vet for our duckling and the measurements given were 1 gram into half a gallon of water (approximately 1/4 teaspoon) refresh daily.

Back
Top Bottom