Poult Grit Help

Piper_Appache

Hatching
Jun 15, 2017
Hi all,
I'm new to the turkey/chicken raising world. I have an Eastern Wild Turkey poult. He's just under a week old. I have him in a brooder with 24% chick starter by DuMor, water, heat lamp, and a box that he loves to play in and on. I occasionally let him out on supervised romps around my bathroom where he is kept. He ate two ants off the floor and he ends up eating some dog hair sometimes. I do my best to get the hair out of his mouth. Last night He snatched up this giant dust bunny. I pulled most of it out but now I am worried it will make him sick and today he seems a little less active than normal. Is it too early for me to be giving him chick grit with his food? I read a few places that grit shouldn't be given until 2 weeks, some say 3. He has normal weight, normal poo, seems to be eating and drinking fine. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi all,
I'm new to the turkey/chicken raising world. I have an Eastern Wild Turkey poult. He's just under a week old. I have him in a brooder with 24% chick starter by DuMor, water, heat lamp, and a box that he loves to play in and on. I occasionally let him out on supervised romps around my bathroom where he is kept. He ate two ants off the floor and he ends up eating some dog hair sometimes. I do my best to get the hair out of his mouth. Last night He snatched up this giant dust bunny. I pulled most of it out but now I am worried it will make him sick and today he seems a little less active than normal. Is it too early for me to be giving him chick grit with his food? I read a few places that grit shouldn't be given until 2 weeks, some say 3. He has normal weight, normal poo, seems to be eating and drinking fine. Thanks in advance for any help!
Appropriately sized grit should be given as soon as chicks, keets, poults, etc. are being fed anything other than starter feed, Without the grit they cannot properly digest treats, etc.

If they're eating grit then they have less space for feed, no?
It is not a problem. They have a gizzard and that is where the grit remains until it is worn down too small and passes on through. Without the grit in their gizzard they cannot grind up the food so that it can be digested. I keep all my poultry on sand bedding from day one so they have grit right from the start.

Thanks! Chick Grit will be sufficient?

Save some some cash. Drop in at HD and pick up some builders sand for less than $5.00. NOT PLAY SAND. Builders sand is dirty sand. It contains sand plus pebbles of varying size. They can choose what is right for them. When they outgrow this stop at HD again and visit landscape supply area. Pick up a sack of pea gravel It also has varying sizes of pebbles. OR go to TSC and spend to much money on granite grit.

Back
Top Bottom