Poultry and Dogs - Who Has Happy Pictures and Stories?

Jadore Poules

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 22, 2011
Northern Virginia
Our Sheltie Beckon is the chicken dog on our farmette. The hens chase him and he will twirl around them, giving the play stretch back at them. He will also serve as their "blocker" when they coming running to him for relief from the roo! Beckon will be 3 years old this spring. This is a photo of Beckon and Luna, a Polish Tolbunt, happy together.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/image/view/id/4883430/album/6138451

I don't have any pics of my chickens and dog together but I do have a story. I have 3 dogs Axle, Steelie and Harley. Harley is 10 years old and is a beagle mutt. She has turned out to be the best dog around. She loves going in the run with me. Harley sits there patiently while I hand feed my chickens waiting for her turn. I have a red production that has tried to nibble at her toe nails. It was funny. It freaked out Harley. She tried to squeeze next to me to get away from Delaware but I took Harley's leg and extended it to Delaware. She kept nibbling at her toes and Harley looked up at me with the question Why? My other two dogs, I would never trust them alone with my chickens. They would chase them and have some for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

They are both beautiful..

I have a 5 year old Catahoula/Plott hound named Chandler who has become my chicken dog. He is a gentle giant (with the birds - he is a fierce protector otherwise). A couple hens will follow him around and even sit on him. He likes to go in the runs with me and will hang out in an open gate to keep the birds from wandering. He also herds them back in when they escape. The funny thing is that he could care less about working cattle with our cowdogs, but is eager to assist with the birds.

The day I made Christmas cookies it was 65* outside. I was stuck over the oven all day while the animal clan hung out in their favorite dirt spot. Dezy, the tan dog, was giving the "ya wanna knock that off" look to the group for throwing dirt in her face while dust bathing. I have a very nice pic of my dominique pretending to be a dog, but I have to find it.

Great stories! Some of those dogs are REALLY part of the flock (grooming dog toenails, sitting on dogs? Wow! I'm totally amazed!) The pic with the Dominique cozying up to your dog is precious! Is that an American Staffie?

not chickens, though. I'll have to get some.

ETA: the only animal Rayden hasn't been able to adapt too was Rizzo the Rat. He absolutely hated her, so he finally settled on pretending that she didn't exist.

Last edited:
Great stories! Some of those dogs are REALLY part of the flock (grooming dog toenails, sitting on dogs? Wow! I'm totally amazed!) The pic with the Dominique cozying up to your dog is precious! Is that an American Staffie?

That's Dezy, American pit bull terrier extraordinare! She is the daughter of the black one in the other photos.

Thanks, she's a good girl, they both are. The only thing she is bad about is taking duck eggs and walking around with them in her mouth like a baseball, dropping them at your feet and waiting expectantly for you to throw them... Good thing I usually gather them before I let the dogs out now.

Back
Top Bottom