poultry andouille gumbo

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by verlaj, Dec 10, 2011.

1. verlaj

verlaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Micanopy, Florida
    [​IMG]

This is a recipe I have been trying to attach to an email to my daughter, but for some reason it will not go through! So I uploaded it to BYC and it seems to work fine here. I expect others might enjoy the recipes. The page is copied from my well-used copy of River Road Recipes! The duck sausage gumbo recipe is what I use for a guideline for my chicken andouille gumbo. If anyone wants the details or what I really do, I'll be glad to post them.

2. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    I would love to hear your recipe.

3. verlaj

Jan 31, 2009
    Micanopy, Florida
    Here are my guidelines:

I don't make it using 4 ducks! I use a whole chicken cut up sometimes or
    just leg quarters - I think the dark meat makes better gumbo than white meat.

I still use up to a pound of andouille, but not as much as everything else. Sorry - I
    don't measure. However, if you are not living in Louisiana, be very wary of what some companies try to pawn off as andouille. I live in Florida - although I am native to Louisiana - and have tried some so-called andouille that is just awful. If you can't get real andouille from a Louisiana source, use a good smoked sausage instead. However, the andouille really adds a lot of flavor.

I slice and brown the andouille, then take that out (and hide it so no one eats it).

Then brown the chicken pieces on all sides and take that out.

Make a dark brown roux usually with olive oil added to the fat from the sausage and
    chicken, saute the chopped veggies (onions, green pepper, celery) in that, then add water to liquefy the roux. Add the chicken back to the pot and some seasonings (not the gumbo file) and simmer for a while.
    I also usually add some chicken bouillon so we can have more broth that is flavorful. If you add bouillon, don't add salt until after the bouillon and you have tasted it. Don't fully season to taste yet, because the sausage will add a lot when it goes back in.
    After the chicken has simmered a while, add the sausage and simmer until the chicken
    is really tender - falling off the bones. Then adjust seasonings. Bone and remove skin,
    readjust salt and pepper, then add file, simmer a few more minutes, and top with green
    onions. Serve with rice.

I don't usually add any Tabasco.

I guess I hardly follow the recipe after all! I do look at the ingredients list to
    remind me of what goes in it!

If you don't know how to make a roux:

in fat in the pan, add flour - stir constantly - I use a medium heat, but you really have to pay attention - you want to stir constantly, keep browning until the flour is a dark, rich brown, like strong coffee with cream in it. It is easy to lose courage on this - a little too long and you burn the flour and have to start over; not long enough - mmm - not so good a roux! (You can rescue it if looks too light after the water is added by adding some Kitchen Bouquet. Just don't tell anyone.)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  4. FlyRobinFly

FlyRobinFly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2011
    This sounds absolutely delicious! Both the duck and the chicken versions. [​IMG]

I agree, good andouille is worth its weight in gold in taste.

5. verlaj

Jan 31, 2009
    Micanopy, Florida
    Mmm-hmm! Every trip I make to New Orleans means an ice chest full on the return - including many pounds of andouille for gumbo, jambalaya, and other treats!

6. FlyRobinFly

FlyRobinFly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2011
    This is making me crave a good crawdad etoufee or a gator gumbo... YUM

7. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    LOL - my original River Roads Recipe book is *the* go-to for recipes for so many many years---mine doens't even have the cover anymore - wore off long ago. I recognize the pages of the recipe you posted- sure winner! [​IMG] like you, put my own twist on the duck gumbo-- this is a great jumping- off point to start though!

8. verlaj

Jan 31, 2009
    Micanopy, Florida
    Yep - no covers on mine either. I searched for new copies for my daughter today - had to call a Barnes and Noble in Metairie LA and had them ship River Road Recipes and River Road Recipes II to me!

9. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I love my copy of River Road recipes, both I and II. Couldn't be without them.

10. verlaj

Jan 31, 2009
    Micanopy, Florida
    Has anyone used RRR III or IV yet? I haven't - but I put them on my Christmas list anyway!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by