poultry andouille gumbo

Quote:
There are really so many I'll look through the book and see.....my book is one that was printed in 1979 so I don't know if it's the same book or not. I'll give you a few recipes with page numbers and you can see if it's the same.

Page 92....Banana Nut Bread and Sweet Potato Bread. We like the Banana Nut Bread but we LOVE the Sweet Potato Bread.

Page 94....Homemade French Bread

Page 103....Corn Dodgers...I usually have to warm the batter in the microwave half way through the cooking

Page 105....Beef-Mushroom Quiche....I use leftover roast in mine

Page 117...Chicken Soup With Rice and Mushrooms...She forgets to tell you when to add the rice and mushrooms....I add mine with the chopped veggies and I use canned mushrooms adding the liquid as well. Of course you have to cook it longer than the 10 minutes stated.

If this is the same book you have let me know there are a ton of other really good recipes in this book.

Mine is the 27th edition - 2004.

The recipes on the pages you gave are totally different.

There is a pumpkin bread contributed by Mrs. Marley Stewart. There's a french bread recipe (they call it "pain ordinaire," Mrs. Richard P. Sevier) and a banana bread that has nuts in it (Mrs. Charles Hightower, Jr.). No Corn Dodgers in the index though, or any of the others by the names you gave!

My husband would get a kick out of finding a Corn Dodgers recipe - I know he invented something he called corn dodgers once for our kids when I was away - taken from "True Grit!" I didn't know there really was such a thing!

Corn Dodgers

1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
2 level teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Boiling water (the recipe doesn't state how much)

Stir ingredients together. Water should be boiling hot, add to dry mixture until thoroughly damp.
I make mine the consistency of a stiff cornbread batter.
Fry in hot grease in a cast iron skillet....I use a cast iron griddle that will fit over two burners on my gas stove.

Be sure to have the mixture hot because if it gets cold you will not get the same effect when you fry it.

I serve them with butter and Tupelo honey.... that I order online from Smiley Apiaries in Florida....I order a gallon at a time...it's the very best honey in the world!!!

Thanks for the Corn Dodgers recipe! I'll pass it on to my husband - let him make them again, this time for me!

I agree about the tupelo honey - we buy a supply of it from a roadside stand in the Florida panhandle (near Sopchoppy, FL) when we go there every year or so. I'll check into the online source - nice to know of a good one.

Also - I see you said you loved the Sweet Potato Bread - I made a mistake and looked up pumpkin bread at first. No Sweet Potato Bread in my edition. It's funny that they took out recipes that were great from earlier versions.

I wonder if the River Road Recipes edition I ordered for my daughter is the same as the old one I have.

Quote:
The first time I ever had Tupelo honey I couldn't believe how good it was.

Yes, the Sweet Potato Pie is wonderful also, I am originally from Louisiana and we eat a lot of sweet potatoes. I'm guessing they change the recipes to so that they will have updated versions of what is popular at the time. When I was a kid you couldn't give Fajitas away. If we wanted some we had to go to a butcher and ask for them, they were usually ground into hamburger. Now they cost more than a freaking T-bone steak! I have no idea if River Road cook books are the same or not.

Quote:
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom