Poultry chat thread

So my EE "pullet" is acting like a cockerel I bought her at rural king and out of the "Americana" pullet bin. She like going after her sister fighting her, chasing her, grabbing her neck and pulling her. Is this just normal pullet play or what? They have always got along very well but now this one is being a bully. No other cockerel signs besides being heavier and a tad bigger but she has always been bigger then the others.

So I was thinking and I really want to incubate some eggs but if I order chicks I will meet capacity and have no room for chicks I incubate so I decided to get hatching eggs of the breeds I want.
Serama
Bantam blue laced red Wyandotte
Mille fleur d'uccle
Porcelain d'uccle
My incubator only holds 12 eggs so I will do the Serama and blue laced red Wyandotte first and let them grow, and then I will do the d'uccles. I get to do 2 hatches and raise 2 clutches of chicks yay. I also get to have Bantam BLRW instead of large fowl.

This all started when the racoon nation attacked.....

Seriously though. This clutch was almost lost when the racoons that caused a whole slew of problems scared my pancake off her nest. She had been about a week in when she quit (and is now resetting on a new nest)

Luckily I had wanted to hatch some bantam mix eggs and had put fake eggs in the Cornish pen (such amazing brooders, they're really underrated as broody options). Thankfully someone had took to them when I was on vacation, so she accepted the 9 eggs happily when I got back.

3 bloodringed (2 I'm not surprised, the hen laying them isn't producing viable ones currently), leaving 6. 1 polish mix and 6 I believe are pheonix but need a better look to determine for sure.

During the brooding, 2 cornish eggs got wedged under her and began growing. They're about a week behind.

I separated mama and another hen I wanted to give a break from Dwight (their rooster) and she decided the night before hatch that fine, she would help brood. She now is caring for all 6 chicks that hatched and Mama is still on the last two late eggs
20220712_103643.jpg
20220713_094728.jpg
20220717_161638.jpg

Quick question 🤔 are cinnamon queens, isa browns, golden Comets, and gold sexlinks the same thing?

Quick question 🤔 are cinnamon queens, isa browns, golden Comets, and gold sexlinks the same thing?
Different names from different hatcheries.

Isa were 'created' at some institution, the other three I think are just different red males over white females. Close enough that it doesn't really matter

Back
Top Bottom