Poultry nipples-Farmtek

I have the farm tek nipples going through two large pens, there are three nipples in each cage and about 12 birds in each cage, I put heat tape on a 3" pvc pipe insulated it and covered the whole thing with duct tape, at one end I have a 45 and a 2' section going straight up where I fill it, the system holds 4 gallons but I didnt put a drain on it I wish I had because to clean it out, I have to pull a nipple, the water didnt freeze all winter but for some reason, my birds are acting like they are thirsty the last couple of days, I just flushed the system and checked all the nipples and everything is working great I havent figured it out yet, any ideas?

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't know...maybe they just want a big swig of water...maybe put them down a water dish for them to get some swigs from temporarily.
idunno.gif

I use the nipples for all my quail and this summer im going to get all my chickens set up with them they just make things so much easier.
here is a pick of my set up. I use the type that comes out of chicken houses. i also sell these
smile.png
they are all stainless steel, screw in type that has a cup that hangs under the nipple. can be used with or without the cups
37420_quail_lights_003.jpg

Ok, I need help again. I thought my watering system was working perfectly until this morning. I have a leak around one of the nippes. It seems that my chickens like to peck the caulk off!!!! I don't know how to stop it. So, I took out the screw in nipple that was leaking and replaced it with one of the push in type with the rubber grommet. Hope it works! Wish me luck. Any ideas of what I could do differently because the caulk is not going to work for me-my chickens are too curious.

you can take one of the nipples to the hardware store and get a rubber gasket that fits over the part that screws in, put it on and screw it back in, it should be fine

Quote:
Thank you so much. That would be a lot cheaper than ordering more online that have the rubber thing with them.

I'm not so sure that will work. kc, did you use round or square tubing? If you used regular round tubing then the curvature of the tube might not let an o-ring/gasket seal properly. Your best bet might be to get a new piece of pvc pipe and redo the water run.

Ed

the diameter of the pipe might make a difference, if you use 3" pipe like I did it will work fine but if you have 1" pipe you might need to use the o-ring type gasket, you might just want to do that anyway, just to be sure, I cant imagine an o-ring that size costing much, its worth a try befor you start tearing your system down, and if it does come to that you can cut that section out and use a coupling instead or replacing the pipe

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom