Poultry nipples-Farmtek

For the winter I use a 5-gallon bucket with the water nipples. I submerge a cheap (wlamart) aquarium heater that is designed to keep water at 75-ish degrees. That's a bit of overkill for chicken water, but you could use a thermo cube to regulate the temp down.

I know our low temps can't be anywhere close to yours. But we have several weeks of subzero nights and my outdoor bucket has never frozen. Since the aquarium heater sits in the bottom of the bucket, the nipples don't freeze either.

I use the ones from QC supply.
0208101705a.jpg

0208101707.jpg

I got my waterers today from QC Supply. I put a push in type in a milk jug just to see if it would work. Worked great! I plan on putting up about 30 ft. PVC pipe tomorrow with the screw in waterers. My question is what size drill bit do I need to use. On the milk jug, I had to ream out the hole because the drill bit was too small. Just wondering what would work perfectly? Also, do you all use schedule 40 PVC pipe (I think that's what it's called).

Quote:
I got mine on Saturday, but didn't know it until today darnit! I took one to Lowe's and it fit the thread check thing for 3/8", so that's the size bit I bought. Yes, my husband has every tool known to man, but this bit will be for MY stuff, where *I* can find it~LOL I'll be using mine in 5 gallon buckets for now, until we can get a water system put in.

Edited to add-11/32" is what you need! The 3/8" was too big.

Last edited:
Quote:
Depending on the type of pipe you use you can heat it slightly with a lighter till it softens up then screw the nipple in. Just try on a scrap bit of pipe first.

Very interesting topic here as I too am switching over my watering system. I am seperating my ducks and chickens and was using the low pressure ones from Stromberg:
18368_waterer.jpg

But I was having a ton of issues with them. I had 10 of them and finally ust got rid of all of them. They would constantly overflow and the valves in them were crap.
somad.gif

The nipple system seems like an awesome alternative and can easily be run between pens.
clap.gif
I will be talking to DH about this soon and see if he will help me set this up!!
woot.gif

Quote:
we used a 11/32 drill bit and the heavier pvc pipe.

I emailed QCS and that (11/32") is what they said to use.

Ed

Yes, Ed you are right. I tried to 3/8 and it was too big. I'm glad I tried a scrap bucket first!

Back
Top Bottom