Poultry nipples-Farmtek

I use the screw-in types, but I still put a little silicone caulk on the threads and just at the "larger" part that stays outside of the jug/bottle/PVC pipe. These are one piece; you can't assemble or disassemble the nipples, although they obviously have 3 parts: 2 metal bits and one plastic housing. Got 'em from FarmTek.

I've got a milk jug waterer with one nipple, a 5 gallon bucket waterer with 3 nipples, a PVC pipe from a 5 gal bucket with 4 nipples, and a plastic pitcher with one nipple (that one is for the brooder).

They all work great, and the chickens learn to use them very quickly.

Quote:
Did you have to caulk around them or did they just screw in without leaks? Also, would you still recommend the screw in kind or would you get the push in kind?

I ordered both. I am using the screw in kind in schedule 40 pvc pipe. No sealant. Just drilled the recommended size hole. I would say if you are going into thick enough material use the screw in kind. If the material is thin like a milk jug, then use the push in kind.
ON

Quote:
Did you have to caulk around them or did they just screw in without leaks? Also, would you still recommend the screw in kind or would you get the push in kind?

I ordered both. I am using the screw in kind in schedule 40 pvc pipe. No sealant. Just drilled the recommended size hole. I would say if you are going into thick enough material use the screw in kind. If the material is thin like a milk jug, then use the push in kind.
ON

Thanks. I switched my order to the screw in kind. I plan on using it in PVC pipe and possibly buckets.

Quote:
i just put in some of the red screw in and they work well. used round 3/4 inch pvc, drilled 11/32 hole into pvc and screwed in the nipples. i also order some of the stainless steel and i plan to try those tomorrow. i used a 5 gallon plastic bucket 2.97 plus .98 lid from lowes as my source for water and attached a length of pvc to the bucket and screwed in the nipples into the pvc. did not want to attach to hose as i felt it might casue some contamination of our water lines and also the bucket water can be a place when vitamins, apple cider vinegar, or liguid wormer is used. i hope the stainless does not act up as yours did, you can call farmtek and they will probably help with the stainless. if my chickens will use this, i think it is the way to go...........very clean water and much less work, i think the stainless steel might need be attached to a hose or permanent water supply to keep pressure on those pieces to keep them from coming out as these are used by commercial poultry houses( again not sure of this just my thoughts)

kennedyscochins,
Yup, just be sure to use the exact size drill bit they say to use and drill it straight (not egged out) I might suggest a brad point bit or starting a pilot hole with a small bit.

You will love the nipples! I can not see how anyone can use traditional galvanized waterers. Poop in them they stink! lots of work and mess.

(By the way anyone want to buy an expensive galvanized waterer? I will never go back!)

ON

My dh used the push in type to make a bucket waterer this weekend. Works great as far as i can see. We don't have the chickens yet to do a real test but they didn't leak and the water came out fine with no leaking.

Quote:
If they will let you, you might want to add 2 or 3 of the push-in nipples to your order...they would be helpful if you needed to make a quick waterer out of a milk jug or some other thin-walled container. Just a thought.
smile.png

Ed

Back
Top Bottom