"Poultry Nipples Ineffective for free-range birds"

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HFOrganicFarms, Jan 26, 2015.

1. HFOrganicFarms

HFOrganicFarms New Egg

Jan 26, 2015
    I am wondering if said statement is valid. I heard this at EcoFarm in a discussion group on poultry. The reasoning behind this is that it's not convenient for free-ranging chickens, while it maybe convenient for chickens that are cooped up. My birds aren't gated either, they have 12 acres to roam about.

I can see how this maybe valid statement when considering us humans. Many of us do not drink enough water to keep us hydrated, and I would certainly be discouraged to keep properly hydrated if I would have to run back and forth to a low pressured water fountain.

I know there are some good alternatives, but I'm quite busy, and would like to know if it would make a significant difference incorporating a better hydration system for my little feathered friends. Thank you in advanced!

2. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    I have 5 gallon buckets with horizontal nipples on them scattered about my acreage. Chickens get thirsty, they mosey towards a bucket...eating as they go. They stay until they've had their fill and mosey away.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not convenient?
    And other types of waterers are more convenient?

Doesn't make sense to me.

4. HFOrganicFarms

HFOrganicFarms New Egg

Jan 26, 2015
    I heard from an experienced chicken handler that poultry nipples are not convenient for free-ranging chickens. I am wondering if this statement is valid.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Of course it's not convenient. They will choose the muddiest nastiest puddle they can find any day, over clean water in a bucket, with or without nipples.

6. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    I know that's the truth. I've got a 5 gallon waterer that is filled with crystal clear water and a #5 washtub in the run to help keep the wild birds from the chicken waterer. Every morning I let them out to free range the property and they all head to the duck pond to drink. I haven't had time to install the pumps yet so it's 785 gallons of still water that the duck poops into when she swims.... [​IMG]

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

8. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Sounds like a statement needing more context, you know, they need to explain what they mean by "not convenient".

I will say that free-range or not, any chicken nipple is not going to be as convenient as an open waterer. Not convenient for the chicken. But generally healthier for them and way more convenient for the human(s). I don't want to have to change their water every single darn day, like I read so many folks do, just to make it a little bit more convenient for the chickens.

9. HFOrganicFarms

HFOrganicFarms New Egg

Jan 26, 2015
    I agree, I just don't want dehydrated chickens or inefficient layers, thanks for the feed back though!

10. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by