Poultry nipples made of questionable plastic? I have concerns for my flock's health!!!

fiddlechicken

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 12, 2014
Portland, OR
So, the poultry nipples I ordered from Meck Products Arrived, and they work great- no problems, installation was easy.

The problem? They REEK of petrochemical fumes. I had to wash them- and I am not exaggerating here- at least 20 times in super hot, sudsy water to not smell plain awful. They smell OK now, but as soon as I run them under hot water, that smell comes back, and it is just gross. The plastic they used in manufacture is really of questionable origin, in my humble opinion.

Now, I know you're all thinking " just return the darned things!!!!"- and yes, I plan to. I certainly don't want to subject my ladies to a known carcinogen, for their health, and for my family's.
There is, after all, a major link between BPA's and all kinds of health problems...

So it makes me wonder... What the heck kind of plastic is Meck Products using?

Are ALL poultry nipples this way, or is it just one supplier?

I am planning on doing some more research, myself. In the meantime, does anyone else have anything to add? I'd love to hear it- and thanks for reading!

It's high time someone offered stainless steel nipples like those they use for rats. I've been put off by the fumes of some plastics they're making pencil cases out of these days, never mind supposedly food grade items. They're not just carcinogenic, they're endocrine disruptors, makes one wonder how many non-laying hens are that way due to overexposure to plastics. Best avoided. Even the usually blithely unconcerned health authorities that be are beginning to say 'avoid at all costs' --- strong wording.

Best wishes.

So it makes me wonder... What the heck kind of plastic is Meck Products using?

Are ALL poultry nipples this way, or is it just one supplier?

I am planning on doing some more research, myself. In the meantime, does anyone else have anything to add? I'd love to hear it- and thanks for reading!
If you get an answer to question one it will probably be in Chinese.

There are a lot of Chinese suppliers who produce low quality copies of the major chicken drinker manufacturers products. Who knows what they are making them out of.

The major nipple drinker manufacturers are all located in the US or Europe where standards are are much higher but they are generally unavailable to the backyard poultry person. The major makers and sellers of the high end poultry drinkers have no interest in the aggravation of the small scale producer.

The best nipple drinkers available in small numbers from online sources (ebay especially) are the highest priced red push-in and screw-in types. They are from one of the major manufacturers. But backyard producers know better than the industry and are not willing to pay the price so . . . . well there you have it.

In answer to the later posters comments-
There are two makers of first line all SS nipple drinkers. They require more involved installation techniques that would be beyond most backyard situations and certainly beyond the suppliers ability to cope with backyard utilization.

Back
Top Bottom