Poultry Predator Identification

I keep reading posts and website, but no one seems to describe what I found this morning. A 4" by 2" hole dug under the side of my chicken tractor and on the INSIDE of the tractor one chicken foot, a broken bone, feathers and the crop. NOTHING outside. So this seems to indicate that Mr. Predator dug his was in and grabbed and ate my pretty Buff Orpington 6-week-old. I can't find a description that says only one bird is killed, others are untouched, and crop and foot are left. No head anywhere. No body, no guts. Please help me ID this marauder. I'm in upstate NY.

Digging makes me think Fox. Do ya'll have Badgers up there? A dog will dig but it will kill them all and not even eat them, Maybe a Coyote? A coon also will kill them all.

Sad :(

I need help figuring out what this predator is that is killing my ducklings and chickens! Just a few nights ago 2 of my ducklings went missing. I thought of it and figured probably a hawk because nothing was left of them. The next day 2 more were gone. We found them in the barn dead. One duckling was found with only feathers, bones, and it's legs left. The other duckling had it's feathers, skin, head, and everything. All that was gone was it's insides except for it's bones and blood, and also to get inside was a perfectly straight cut. It was neatly done, no mess. Now we have only one duckling and Mom and Dad duck. Now, the chickens, too. The chickens were no problem until we enclosed our ducks at night with the chickens. The chickens had always roosted on a tall fence that we built in our barn. Now we have to put them in a cage that is even MORE secure. We had 6 chickens, one in a cage for safety, and 5 out. They were all there the night we put the ducks away. The next day the ducks were fine, but 3 of our chickens were gone. Feathers everywhere. We found only one chicken. Everything was gone besides one leg, feathers, and it's spine and the big bones. Barely any blood. Please help me identify what this animal is!!!
hit.gif
Oh, and the floor is hay and cement..

Last edited:
Sad :(

I need help figuring out what this predator is that is killing my ducklings and chickens! Just a few nights ago 2 of my ducklings went missing. I thought of it and figured probably a hawk because nothing was left of them. The next day 2 more were gone. We found them in the barn dead. One duckling was found with only feathers, bones, and it's legs left. The other duckling had it's feathers, skin, head, and everything. All that was gone was it's insides except for it's bones and blood, and also to get inside was a perfectly straight cut. It was neatly done, no mess. Now we have only one duckling and Mom and Dad duck. Now, the chickens, too. The chickens were no problem until we enclosed our ducks at night with the chickens. The chickens had always roosted on a tall fence that we built in our barn. Now we have to put them in a cage that is even MORE secure. We had 6 chickens, one in a cage for safety, and 5 out. They were all there the night we put the ducks away. The next day the ducks were fine, but 3 of our chickens were gone. Feathers everywhere. We found only one chicken. Everything was gone besides one leg, feathers, and it's spine and the big bones. Barely any blood. Please help me identify what this animal is!!!
hit.gif
Oh, and the floor is hay and cement..

More info please... The attacks are at night but the remains are found inside a barn? Maybe a cat? or an owl? A Fox would take its kill away. A racoon would kill all your birds not just two. An owl generally eats everything.

Yes, it is at night and there were remains left in our barn. Now, the bones of the dead chicken are gone and the leg is outside by the door. Everything is closed up at night and we can see no possible way of anything getting in? We followed track that were in the tall grass out back and found a wing and a beak. There were bedding areas and they were about 6 feet wide left to right, and 6 feet tall from top to bottom. We are thinking something really big? Also since the chickens and ducks are in seperate cages we found that one of the ducks had a scratch across it and large claw marks on the cage. We are so confused? We also set live traps and caught nothing.

I have what family jokingly calls "Fort Knox". My coop is a converted barn with cement walls. The run is 1 x3 galvanized wire with 2 feet of chicken wire about the bottom and it has always had netting across the top. We recently re painted the barn so there is a small section of netting that is off currently.

Last night we got home last and I went to lock up the coop around 1030. One of my 2 month old pullets is missing. There is no signs of struggle, blood, feathers or anything!!! The flock doesnt seem edgy or disturbed at all which I would think if something took her, they would be skitterish? I am hoping she somehow flew out of the one section and will turn up but nothing so far.

Is there any predator that could take one and leave no signs? I would think it would have to be some sort of bird? We have hawks eagles owls...but have had chickens for over 3 yrs and never lost one to a predator. Any ideas? or do you think she just "escaped"?

Any possibility your pullet didn't go in for the night?
If she was taken with absolutely no sign, any chance of a human predator? (Unfortunately there are chicken thieves.)

Any possibility your pullet didn't go in for the night?
If she was taken with absolutely no sign, any chance of a human predator? (Unfortunately there are chicken thieves.)

Thanks for the response. That is about the only thing (other than her flying away) that would make sense? However, we live on 40 acres with limited neighbors, out in the country. There are people around that have chickens but I know them all. I also have a hunting dog that patrols the yard and she was out last night too.

Angiebubs

Hey... I am pretty sure that if your chicken was taken during the day, outside the coop area, they would not show any excess excitement inside their coop that night. If something invaded, like a coon or a possum, there would be alot more excitement and you would be missing more than one bird. So I would suspect something got her during the day. (I am assuming they are out and about during the day)? Totally gone would be a coyote or a fox. A Dog would likely leave a carcass and even a hawk will leave something although perhaps nothing you might find. HF. (Pete)...

I'm really stumped so am subscribing to find out more of what it is. Something that can fit through a size of the dug hole. Just a thought. Can't see a cat digging like that...they would shred or tear to get in, and I can't see them eating the larger bones. They will eat mice bones, but that's about it. An owl might fit the night info, but wouldn't dig.

Back
Top Bottom