Poultry Protector in the winter?

DKS

Chirping
May 19, 2020
I live in Connecticut and it looks like my chicks may have parasites (mites, lice) . I've notice dirty vent feathers and pale combs. Can I spray my chickens with Poultry Protector in the winter? I'm worried about frostbite.

I've never heard of Poultry Protector, but upon looking at their website the following text would make me question its effectiveness for treating ectoparasites

"Manna Pro Poultry Protector is an all-natural solution to the common problem of mites, lice, fleas and ticks within the backyard flock"

However nice it would seem, most natural products labeled for ectoparasite treatment in poultry are limited as far as treating what they claim. As an effective alternative, you could use a permethrin based product; there are sprays, and dust available, but if you're in winter, the dust may be better. Treatment should consist of dusting the birds, specifically near the vents, and wings. The bedding should be cleaned out well, and the whole inside coop should be dusted. Repeat the processes in seven/ten days.

Thanks
I've never heard of Poultry Protector, but upon looking at their website the following text would make me question its effectiveness for treating ectoparasites

"Manna Pro Poultry Protector is an all-natural solution to the common problem of mites, lice, fleas and ticks within the backyard flock"

However nice it would seem, most natural products labeled for ectoparasite treatment in poultry are limited as far as treating what they claim. As an effective alternative, you could use a permethrin based product; there are sprays, and dust available, but if you're in winter, the dust may be better. Treatment should consist of dusting the birds, specifically near the vents, and wings. The bedding should be cleaned out well, and the whole inside coop should be dusted. Repeat the processes in seven/ten days.
Thank you for your thoughtful response. I was able to reach the Pro Mana company and was advised not to use the spray on the chicks in the winter. I've checked their vent feathers for obvious signs of parasites but nothing showed based on what I've been told to look for. I'll be going out tonight to check again when it's dark as I understand lice or mites may be more active at night. I'm still trying to figure out what may be causing the tips of their combs to turn flesh colored. I was thinking anemia from those little blood sucking parasites. I've also got a fecal sample into the vet as well.

Back
Top Bottom