Powdery Mildew: to compost or not

Feb 20, 2021
Salem, Oregon
Powdery mildew is and always has been very prolific in my area. It does not matter if I treat plants or not. I have lot of herbaceous material it would seem to be shame to waste but I have never put pm infected plants in my compost. Doesn't matter, it returns every year around mid september. Should I

-Compost infected plants using a cold compost method
-Compost infected plants using the hot compost method (frequent turning, high temperature, my usual method)
-put it straight into the yard debris bin (get rid of it)
-leave it in the sun to dry and use it in the coop (sounds bad for respiratory reasons)

Hot composting would be my choice if it's that prevalent. Probably not going to get rid of it in the environment, but better safe than sorry for the plants the compost is going to be used on.

OR, make a separate pile for any plants that have the PM to compost, and use it on non-eating plants.

Hot composting would be my choice if it's that prevalent. Probably not going to get rid of it in the environment, but better safe than sorry for the plants the compost is going to be used on.

OR, make a separate pile for any plants that have the PM to compost, and use it on non-eating plants.
Good idea. I'm also thinking I don't want to grow any squash, cucumber or melon plants next year. They are so susceptible to the mildew!

If have ash from a fire place and mix it in your compost with powdery mildew materials it will help to destroy the mildew as it's baking in the compost. You will need to check the pH levels when compost is done.

Powdery mildew is and always has been very prolific in my area. It does not matter if I treat plants or not. I have lot of herbaceous material it would seem to be shame to waste but I have never put pm infected plants in my compost. Doesn't matter, it returns every year around mid september. Should I

-Compost infected plants using a cold compost method
-Compost infected plants using the hot compost method (frequent turning, high temperature, my usual method)
-put it straight into the yard debris bin (get rid of it)
-leave it in the sun to dry and use it in the coop (sounds bad for respiratory reasons)
I would hot compost it. The powdery mildew needs a living host to survive so the turning and heat would kill it.
I also have a large compost bin for worrying compost materials, things I don’t want to risk spreading but I don’t just want to toss such as ragworth (I have a whole lot of the stuff) It gets drowned in the bin first, which is completely enclosed to prevent anything splashing out plus keeps heat in, after this I move it to a bucket composter with other materials. It’s a longer process and I don’t think it’s really necessary for powdery mildew but it is an option and drowning it would also kill it. So even if you wanted to use some similar method any type of bucket that will hold water put the affected plants in weighed down by a rock so they’re covered in water and just let it sit for
I would just caution you that the spores can spread so try to compost this away from any living plants.

If have ash from a fire place and mix it in your compost with powdery mildew materials it will help to destroy the mildew as it's baking in the compost. You will need to check the pH levels when compost is done.
Oh I have lots and lots of ash. we have a wood burning fireplace and our landlord gives us free wood. So it's a readily available resource. I also have ph test strips for soil. Thanks for the idea I had not thought to use the ash!

When using ash in a tumbler, remember to use a 1/4 amount of the overall materials.

But if you want to use all the ashes do it in a open air compost, like a designated ground area. This method will turn the ground alkaline, to turn it back to neutral pH add more plant materials and chicken poop. Chicken poop adds nitrogen to break down the plant materials. Which in turn neutralizes the ph gradually.

When using ash in a tumbler, remember to use a 1/4 amount of the overall materials.

But if you want to use all the ashes do it in a open air compost, like a designated ground area. This method will turn the ground alkaline, to turn it back to neutral pH add more plant materials and chicken poop. Chicken poop adds nitrogen to break down the plant materials. Which in turn neutralizes the ph gradually.
Thank you! I place my compost on a thick scrap piece of rubber pond liner, then cover with a tarp. Every two days I flip the pile. I have a thermometer that I can use to test the temperature of the pile. I always compost in the same part of my back yard, so I'm not too worried about the pH of the soil there right now.

Back
Top Bottom