power and water

Selfsuffice

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 17, 2011
Hey yall-

I've been working on my coop design. I'm an IT professional by trade and I feel confident that if I had power and water run to the coop I can minimize daily maintenance with various pumps, motors, etc with robotic controls.

What I would like to know are specifics relating to getting water/power to the coop. My design (later posts will expand upon the design as the winter season progresses) is a 19x19 coop with a 45x35 run (feet). I expect to run 3/4"(or smaller) PEX to the coop with a 110v power line off the fuse box in the guest house. I have family that can handle the fuse box and water line connections (master plumber + EE) but I want to see if there are perhaps some ideas the chicken community could help with.

Its about 200ft distance between the guest house (which has power/water) and the site where I will be building the coop. I havent approached either plumber or EE about this yet because I have an acute understanding of "skilled work for free" as well as my respect for this community - I dont go anywhere else for any chicken-related information.

What I am looking for is perhaps ideas on the water/power needs to manage a coop/run that large. The coop will be insulated (as a side-note, I am using this coop as a learning experience; I intend to bring it up to residential code) and hopefully heated. I am looking at 30-40 fryers + 5-10 egg layers. Seasonal - the fryers will be around for 7-8 weeks until processed 2-4 cycles a year, needs based. The egg layers will persist.

I have even tossed around the idea of a few turkeys for the holiday season.

Anything yall have for me would be greatly appreciated.

-Selfsuffice

I would run at least ¾" PEX, if not 1' PVC, and if you plan on heat in the future, you might think about running 8/3 to a sub-panel for future expansion. It's better to run more than you need now rather than doing it all again later.

Back
Top Bottom