Power is off!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozark_chickies, Sep 9, 2011.

1. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Got eggs in my bator, and the ^%$ power has been off for a hour! Got it covered up with blankets, but the temp has dropped to 88 degrees. [​IMG] These arn't even my eggs, they belong to another BYC member, who's chickens were killed by dogs [​IMG]. These were the last eggs those birds laid, and to make it worse they had been in the refridgerator.....so we were already expecting a low hatch rate. [​IMG] Just had to rant, I feel so helpless here, as there is nothing I can do about it.

2. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    [​IMG]

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Really better to just open the incubator an let the eggs cool assuming it is not hatch time. If its less than 24 hours cold you should still get a pretty good hatch.

4. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    [​IMG]

5. ChicksinFL

ChicksinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    This is my biggest fear.. I have an invertor for my car that we use on long trips, so my back up plan has been that I'd just very carefully carry the incubator to the car and plug it in there with the car running. My power went out last week and I was watching the temp in the bator like a hawk.

HOPE YOUR POWER IS BACK UP NOW!!!

6. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I have heard of people on Byc putting eggs in their bra or otherwise nestled against their bodies during emergencies.
    There is just enough body heat and moisture to protect them.
    Too many eggs could be a logistical problem though.
    How many are there?
    Or maybe an insulated picnic cooler with a hot water bottle as a warmer?
    What would McGiver do in this situation
    Gotta get creative.
    My fingers are crossed for their survival.

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Quote:Last big outage we had was 4 or 5 days I think, an we ran a 400 watt inverter on the truck with a drop-cord to run my sportsman clone an the xbox.

8. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    I have heard of people on Byc putting eggs in their bra or otherwise nestled against their bodies during emergencies.

Too many eggs for that [​IMG] .

Power is still off, and we don't have hot water, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed we have it soon.Called power co. and they said we would have power soon,but that was before my first post. May have to cook supper on the camp cook stove. Could heat water that way.I have one hour of battery left on the laptop, then no BYC [​IMG] to read.

9. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    During the day...outside in the sun under something black maybe? Geez, I don't know...not good...

10. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I've had eggs blown out of the coops and they were "cold" when I found them. They still hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by