Power loss on day 6/candling eggs

Bigfamilyny

Hatching
May 8, 2015
Good morning folks! I have been raising egg layers for our family for 12 years, and have successfully hatched several times (Little Giant still air with automatic egg turner). Last Friday, May 1, I filled incubator with 42 eggs. Temp and humidity were optimal. Wed night our area suffered a power loss at midnight.. I woke around 1 am and saw temp had dropped to roughly 92 in incubator. I wrapped incubator in blanket and drove around trying to find power, meanwhile heat is cranked to max in my van. Outage was huge, and even friends 3 towns away had no power. Came home, left van running with heat maxed until 4 when power was restored. By then, temp was back up to 100. I plugged it back in immediately.

So...my curiosity won yesterday and I picked 3 eggs to candle. Two definitely had embryo's...3rd was hard to tell. Here are some questions:

Was the hour or two drop in temp to 92 enough to likely kill all embryos?

How can I know whether the embryo is still viable or if I'm looking at an embryo that was started, but died during power outage?

A few times we have been lucky enough to catch our embryos moving around while we candled them, but not normally. That would certainly make things easier!

Do I still candle them this weekend (days 9/10), or wait? If so, how long?

Thanks in advance so much! It's really appreciated!

Good luck!
jumpy.gif

Candled the eggs this weekend. Saw at least a dozen moving embryos, with another dozen likely, but wasn't sure of movement. About one dozen more either didn't seem to have visible blood vessels or had possible blood ring. Decided to Re-candle in a few days before pulling possible quitters out of incubator. Regardless, there were some very healthy and active chicks growing! Very excited for hatch day on 5/22!

Candled the eggs this weekend. Saw at least a dozen moving embryos, with another dozen likely, but wasn't sure of movement. About one dozen more either didn't seem to have visible blood vessels or had possible blood ring. Decided to Re-candle in a few days before pulling possible quitters out of incubator. Regardless, there were some very healthy and active chicks growing! Very excited for hatch day on 5/22!
That's great!

Back
Top Bottom