Power outage--question

Quote:
When my power goes out water does not run. The sink spurts for a few minutes and that's it. The toilet does not refill. Unless you tapped the hot water heater directly you have nothing. The only way I'd get hot water is to fire up the wood burning stove in the basement and find some way to route the smoke out the window then put a pot of snow on it.

Even if you have an electric water pump supplying your house you still have hot water. There is a drain valve on the bottom of the water heater. If you drain much water out of it make sure you turn your hot water on in your sink. That way when your power comes back on the air can escape an it can refill. If it has power an cant fill it could burn up.

Last winter I had several power outages while incubating. I wrapped my bators in a quilt and put them close to the woodstove. The temps dropped in the bator (as I recall one of the outages was for almost 2 days) but I still had survivors that hatched.

Best of luck

Julie
smile.png

I don't know if you have a woodstove etc...but baked potatoes wrapped in a bit of fabric work-old farm wisdom I got from an old farmer. Just don't have them touching the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom