POWER OUTAGE

lilohi

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2020
My chicks are in the MIDDLE OF HATCHING and my power went out! One has hatched 10 minutes ago and there are still 5 more breaking out of shell. It’s estimated the power won’t be on for the next hour and I’m panicking. What do I do to keep them warm??

Wrap blankets around..

Add hot water bottles.. from stove, water heater, camp stove, bbq, etc around the outside.
So far I’m boiled some water and put them in cups and a hot water bottle next to the incubator and put a cardboard box covering them. I’m just worried it might not be enough and the chicks that are still in the egg will get shrinkwrapped. How long are chicks able to survive without consistent heat?

So far I’m boiled some water and put them in cups and a hot water bottle next to the incubator and put a cardboard box covering them. I’m just worried it might not be enough and the chicks that are still in the egg will get shrinkwrapped. How long are chicks able to survive without consistent heat?
They won't shrink wrap.. just don't open the lid.. it's the sudden drop in humidity that shrink wraps.. gradual drop in temp should have WAY less impact.. and they are creating some of their own heat now.

Sounds like you're doing well.. I like the idea you came up with! :highfive:

They won't shrink wrap.. just don't open the lid.. it's the sudden drop in humidity that shrink wraps.. gradual drop in temp should have WAY less impact.. and they are creating some of their own heat now.

Sounds like you're doing well.. I like the idea you came up with! :highfive:
Thank you so much for the help!!

Back
Top Bottom