Ppssible Broken leg

Leag

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2020
One of my hens seems to have a broken leg. She's flopping aroundon her belly flapping her wings. Every time she tries to stand up she falls over on her side.
I can't see any obvious injury. What do I do?

First thing would be to setup a cage with soft bedding and take her in for a close inspection of both her legs, crop (bloated, impacted?) and overall appearance (other injuries to head maybe?). Then let her rest and give water with vitamins/electrolytes and some chicken feed.

What could have happened, how do the other chickens behave, was there a predator attack?

How old is your chicken? It is important to determine if her leg is injured, or if there is something else going on. Look over the entire leg up to the hip for swelling, redness, or green skinfrom bruising. Check the foot pads for any bumblefoot scab. Sometimes a chicken showing signs of Mareks disease may present with lameness, imbalance, and using wings to help balance. Was she vaccinated for Mareks? A chicken jumping on the back of another can cause a back or leg/hip injury. Others may attack her while her leg is injured, so keeping her near the others inside a wire dog crate with food and water would be a good way to protect her and force rest of the leg.

First thing would be to setup a cage with soft bedding and take her in for a close inspection of both her legs, crop (bloated, impacted?) and overall appearance (other injuries to head maybe?). Then let her rest and give water with vitamins/electrolytes and some chicken feed.

What could have happened, how do the other chickens behave, was there a predator attack?
All the other chickens are doing great. I did a really long inspection and can't seem to find anything wrong at all. Then only problem is she can't hold her balance and keeps flopping over. When I hold her up she can stand which makes me think it's not her legs. She closes her eyes when she flips over sometimes.

All the other chickens are doing great. I did a really long inspection and can't seem to find anything wrong at all. Then only problem is she can't hold her balance and keeps flopping over. When I hold her up she can stand which makes me think it's not her legs. She closes her eyes when she flips over sometimes.
What about her comb and wattles, are they pale? If so, check the hen and coop for lice and poultry mites.

Did you check her ears for injury, infection or parasites? Ear issues can lead to loss of balance.

I put her in a corner of the coop with food and water. She does seem to be getting around somehow because I keep seeing her in different places of the coop. I gave her water and she's eating and drinking. She is about 16 weeks old and was healthy and lively just yesterday. The other chickens are not bothering her. Then only thing is she kind of sits there on her
What about her comb and wattles, are they pale? If so, check the hen and coop for lice and poultry mites.

Did you check her ears for injury, infection or parasites? Ear issues can lead to loss of balance.
What is her ear supposed to look like. What am i looking out for? She doesnt really have much of a comb yet shes only about 16 weeks

I put her in a corner of the coop with food and water. She does seem to be getting around somehow because I keep seeing her in different places of the coop. I gave her water and she's eating and drinking. She is about 16 weeks old and was healthy and lively just yesterday. The other chickens are not bothering her. Then only thing is she kind of sits there on her

What is her ear supposed to look like. What am i looking out for? She doesnt really have much of a comb yet shes only about 16 weeks
It's been a few days and the situation is basically the same . Still struggling to satnd up, is balancing by flapping her wings, and i cant find any obvious injury? Any insight please? I don't know what to do....

Can she move her wings? In Mareks disease chickens become paralyzed in the wings neck or legs. Is there any signs of an animal attack? Like a bunch of feathers very where or are your other chickens being more alert and scared then usual?

No sign of attack. The other chickens are great. She flaps her wings to get around because she can't stand up. She scoots around on her belly. She's eating and drinking normally.

No sign of attack. The other chickens are great. She flaps her wings to get around because she can't stand up. She scoots around on her belly. She's eating and drinking normally.
Can you maybe take a video and upload it through YouTube?

Back
Top Bottom