Prairie Bluebell Cockerel or Pullet?

rlange37

Chirping
Dec 6, 2022
Michigan
I have an almost 15 week old PBE, I can not determine if it is male or female. It's comb has been a pinkish color for about 3-4 weeks, it's tail feathers are curling down, but it is really small in size. I've tried looking up information but the breed is fairly new I guess so not a ton of information on what to look for. If anyone has thoughts please share.

Attachments

• IMG_20230607_151435081.jpg
    IMG_20230607_151435081.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20230607_151422561.jpg
    IMG_20230607_151422561.jpg
    620.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20230607_145115902.jpg
    IMG_20230607_145115902.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20230607_145950253.jpg
    IMG_20230607_145950253.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20230607_145755049.jpg
    IMG_20230607_145755049.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20230601_161640335.jpg
    IMG_20230601_161640335.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20230601_161652238.jpg
    IMG_20230601_161652238.jpg
    998.9 KB · Views: 43
Thank you I was hoping it was a pullet but it had me nervous.....I had also got what was supposed to be an Ameracauna/EE at the same time and it turned out to be I believe a Sapphire Gem and it is definitely a Roo(will make my 3rd Roo)

First off, I don't think you have a PBE. You have an EE because the bird has a beard and muffs. This may be your Americana / EE mix. It's a beautiful bird, but that color is not one seen in prairie bluebells. PBE's do not have beards or muffs.

If you want to post a pic of the "sapphire gem", if that bird has a pea comb, it's possible that was the PBE. They come in gray (blue), black, wild-type pheasant, and there are some that look like brown leghorns with gold in their hackle and some that look like brown leghorns with silver in their hackle. Also there are some that are the wild type pheasant color with lots of red shades. I've heard there are some that are a white/red mix like RSLs, but haven't owned any of those myself.

In the next 4 weeks you should start to see some comb growth and reddening in preparation for laying. Since you have 3 other roosters, it's possible that this could be a slow developing cockerel, but I don't see any male feathering, which would usually have shown up by now. I think you're pretty safe to assume this one is a pullet. :) Can't wait to hear what color she lays! Please let us know!

First off, I don't think you have a PBE. You have an EE because the bird has a beard and muffs. This may be your Americana / EE mix. It's a beautiful bird, but that color is not one seen in prairie bluebells. PBE's do not have beards or muffs.

If you want to post a pic of the "sapphire gem", if that bird has a pea comb, it's possible that was the PBE. They come in gray (blue), black, wild-type pheasant, and there are some that look like brown leghorns with gold in their hackle and some that look like brown leghorns with silver in their hackle. Also there are some that are the wild type pheasant color with lots of red shades. I've heard there are some that are a white/red mix like RSLs, but haven't owned any of those myself.

In the next 4 weeks you should start to see some comb growth and reddening in preparation for laying. Since you have 3 other roosters, it's possible that this could be a slow developing cockerel, but I don't see any male feathering, which would usually have shown up by now. I think you're pretty safe to assume this one is a pullet. :) Can't wait to hear what color she lays! Please let us know!
To add on to this great advice, with EE pullets it's not uncommon for the curved tail feathers with the first set of adult feathers. I probably say it too often, but black and white EEs are among my favorite birds- they're always striking!

That's interesting to know.... I had bought what was supposed to be 8 pullets 2 light brahma, 1 olive egger, 1 white leghorn, 1 prairie bluebell, and 1 Americauna/EE I will attach pictures. The one that was supposed to be a Prairie bluebell does have some brown on the feathers but if I'm understanding you right they shouldn't have muffs or beards? Thank you again for the information.

Attachments

• IMG_20230607_161744051_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230607_161744051_HDR.jpg
    983.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20230607_161717768_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230607_161717768_HDR.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20230607_161702355_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230607_161702355_HDR.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 40
That's interesting to know.... I had bought what was supposed to be 8 pullets 2 light brahma, 1 olive egger, 1 white leghorn, 1 prairie bluebell, and 1 Americauna/EE I will attach pictures. The one that was supposed to be a Prairie bluebell does have some brown on the feathers but if I'm understanding you right they shouldn't have muffs or beards? Thank you again for the information.
It's possible your gray one is a PBE mix or a second generation PBE since he has a single comb. It's kinda hard to tell from that picture, but it doesn't look like he has muffs or a beard, so he's most likely not an EE. PBEs come in that shade of mottled gray, often with copper leakage around the face/neck for females (I wouldn't be surprised to see copper/brown leakage in the hackle for a male in that coloration). Slate or black wash on yellow legs/feet is optional, but often present for the PBEs of that color. But PBEs always have a pea comb. However, they were not designed to breed true.

Also, that is not a sapphire gem. Body shape is wrong, and how the gray is distributed on the feathers is also wrong. Body shape and color distribution is correct for PBE.

Since they're not designed to breed true for blue eggs, and for PBEs the blue egg gene is linked to pea comb, my understanding is they're heterozygous for pea comb. If you breed PBE x PBE, some of their progeny may not have a pea comb. Since straight comb is recessive, and for PBEs, the blue egg gene is linked to pea comb, any birds that are supposed to be PBE that have a straight comb will not have the blue egg gene, and therefore will not lay blue or green or olive, or have progeny that will lay blue, green, or olive.

In short, your rooster, if you mate him to a white or brown egg layer, will only ever give you white or brown or tan eggs. Because he does not have the blue egg gene.

If you want a blue egg layer that breeds true for blue eggs, Ameraucana, Cream Crested Legbar (often gives green instead), Silverudd's Blue, and Whiting True Blue are the options I'm aware of, though there are probably others.

Your black/gold chicken appears to be your olive egger. I got one in that color pattern last year from Hoovers. If she has a single comb, I'd say olive egger. If she has a pea comb, then PBE is a possibility - I've had a PBE that color also. I can't tell from the pic which comb type she has - it is blurry, but I'm thinking she's female and straight comb, so olive egger.

Enjoy your cute birds!!!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge:)
You're welcome. :)

I have 6 PBEs and bred them to a Production Red rooster beginning of this year. The pullets are just starting to come into lay, and I'm getting the most gorgeous light olive eggs, same color as a Starlight Green egger. It's been a journey figuring out just what I have and what I can expect when breeding the PBEs because you're right, there's not a lot of info out there, as they are a Hoover's hatchery exclusive.

My "mystery" chick from Hoover looks alot like yours. The order included 2 PBEs which I've been assuming (you know what happens when you assume) are the 2 white speckled ones directly behind the black and white chick. However, the mystery b&w chick has a pea comb but the 2 assumed PBEs have a regular (altho very small) comb. They're about 13 wks old in pictures except the "baby" photo of mystery chick.
IMG_2023-06-08-19-12-45-839.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2023-06-07-14-49-45-360.jpg
    IMG_2023-06-07-14-49-45-360.jpg
    923.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2023-03-20-15-11-33-569.jpg
    IMG_2023-03-20-15-11-33-569.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 33

Back
Top Bottom