Prairie Flower Block Swap

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by katsdar, Mar 9, 2016.

1. katsdar

katsdar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 21, 2012
    Armuchee, Georgia
    Yes, I can relate have to make sure my plate isn't to full too so I know exactly what you are talking about. Let me know what you find out about the Buckeye's

2. katsdar

Jul 21, 2012
    Armuchee, Georgia
    I need your advice/suggestions I have never worked with panels before, but I wanted to make one for my daughter-in-law, she loves Marilyn Monroe so I'm going to cut these apart and want them off set from each other, so here are my colors I will use, just picked up the black and white, not sure if they have a place, probably will not use them, but anyway, so how would you piece this one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Oh the purple on the outfit in the lower left is the color I will try to match and put a border in that color, around the whole quilt

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. majack

majack Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    I think you need to cut the four panels apart then lay them on the colours to see which works with which. It'll help to have space between too. Are you planning a sort of double border/sashing to each? A colour for each panel brought together by the purple border and purple sashing between each colour-framed panel? That will look very nice.

4. clucklady

clucklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2015
  5. katsdar

Jul 21, 2012
    Armuchee, Georgia
  6. katsdar

Jul 21, 2012
    Armuchee, Georgia
    Yes that is the tentative plan and some sort of decorative little block, I do like the suggestion of the shadow box and I could still do the sashing little blocks, I have till July to get this done.

7. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Katsdar~You wanted to know what I found out about the Buckeye Chicks. Well, I contacted the Buckeye breeder and she charges $8 per chick, which I understand. I wanted about 6. The issue is this, I may get more roos than hens, as she doesn't sex them. That is a lot of money to put out and maybe only get a couple of hens. That happened to me the last time I bought them from a breeder. A friend and I went in together and bought 12. We split them up. I ended up with 1 hen, and the rest were roos. I gave 1 roo away and the others went to freezer camp. I still have the one buckeye hen. I really like them. The roo I gave away is with friends of ours and they just love him.
    I ended up ordering chicks from Murray McMurray. No Buckeyes though. I found other hatcheries that sold them, but at one place the shipping was $37.80! Thats more than the chicks and the hatchery is only about 3 hours from me! If I'm going to pay that much for shipping, plus the cost of the chicks, I may as well go and buy the from the breeder. Murray only charged about $15 shipping, and that is from Iowa! The only advantage of ordering from a hatchery is that I can get all hens, no roos. I wouldn't mind getting 1 roo as my black copper maran roo is getting old. He does his job, but don't think he is fertile. Had a broody last year that set on about 14 eggs, and none hatched. We looked in them and none had even developed. Hopefully the extra rare one that Murray sends is a good breed and a roo. They usually are. If I could find someone around here that had buckeye pullets for sale, I would go that route, but this breeder did not. I may try to contact other breeders in my area to see if they have any. If I could get a Buckeye roo, I would try to raise my own. My chicks will be here April 6 or 7th.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  8. katsdar

Jul 21, 2012
    Armuchee, Georgia
    Well that stinks to end up with all those roos, I've seen Buckeye's and they are a nice bird, nice color to them, We need pics of your babies when you get them,and I have 22 eggs in the incubator developing nicely so we will see how many hatch.

9. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    OOO! what kind? I was going to put some in the incubator, but figured since I don't think they would be fertile, sooo! Buckeye chickens are beautiful, and so gentle. Very good layers. Hearty. I will get some more at one point.

10. katsdar

Jul 21, 2012
    Armuchee, Georgia
    Well,it is a hodge podge so we will have to see what we get,this will be an interesting hatch that's for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by