Pre-Made Coop by Trixie

PineCone67

In the Brooder
May 19, 2016
My Coop
My Coop
Decided to purchase pre-made units (coop/run plus an extension added few weeks later) to house my two buff orpingtons. Both pieces purchased online. After assembly I stained everything with Helmsman
00ae.png
Spar Urethane (2 coats). I also prepared the site for the coop by making a matching bottom from 2x4 and 2x6 and stapling the hardware cloth on the bottom. So far (about 5 weeks into the ownership) I see no signs of any intruders (I see a rat from time to time in our neighborhood, but fortunately no foxes or raccoons).

Last edited:
Although I'm not a fan of those prefab things, your coop sure is cute. As your girls grow up, you'll probably want to expand the run a bit more, unless they're out in your yard quite a bit. On the plus side, expanding a run is a lot cheaper/simpler than expanding a coop! Orpingtons are sweet birds, but they are pretty big as adults.

I love the last picture, with both camped out on top of the run...lol.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words! I did start with just the small coop and decided to add the run as an extension to give them more room to move around as they get bigger. They do get to roam the backyard for few hours before dark almost daily, and even longer on the weekends when we're around. Would not feel comfortable letting them out for the whole day when we're not around.

Thank you for posting this! It's hard...starting from scratch. It's nice to have something to work from...and, the base and hardware cloth is doable for me. Building a coop...not:(. Your girls are beautiful...especially on toppa the coop!!

Just wanted to say I have this exact coop and have had it for 3 years. We painted it and put it on boards like you did. It's great for a couple of chickens! The only thing I'd share to do is go ahead and Put a different roof on it. Our roof rotted and is falling in. If I could go back, I'd put a metal roof (tin siding roof) right on top of this roof and the roof on the nest box. Mine rotted so now I have to come up with something instead to attach new roof. Again,good coop that lasts and is predator proof (we have coyotes and fox.), but needs another roof to last long than a year or two.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say I have this exact coop and have had it for 3 years. We painted it and put it on boards like you did. It's great for a couple of chickens! The only thing I'd share to do is go ahead and out so either roof in it. Our roof rotted and is falling in. If I could go back, I'd still a metal roof right on top of this roof and the roof on the best box. Mine rotted so now I have to come up with something instead. Again,good coop that lasts and is predator proof (we have coyotes and fox.), but needs another roof.

Thanks for the heads-up! Will keep the roof situation in mind when performing periodic maintenance to the coop!

I bought this coop on sale to use as a broody/isolation coop with two hopes: one, that I would never need it for more than 2-3 chickens and two, it was built well enough for me to work with. Thanks for the heads up about the roof, will definitely take care of that. When we put it together it will be inside a protected run. Thanks for the posts! :)

Back
Top Bottom