Pre-made Run suggestion?

My chain link run (had a fencing company install it so it's cemented in). There's hardware cloth up the bottom few feet and aproned out a few feet. We opted to stick the coop right inside though I'm still undecided if that was the best decision. :lol:
coopnew1.jpg

If going with a kennel kit, I'd look for one that can easily be expanded in the future if you get more birds. If you're thinking 10-12 max, I'd aim for at least 200 sq ft, for ease of integration, which favors having more space.

My chain link run (had a fencing company install it so it's cemented in). There's hardware cloth up the bottom few feet and aproned out a few feet. We opted to stick the coop right inside though I'm still undecided if that was the best decision. :lol:
View attachment 2622028

If going with a kennel kit, I'd look for one that can easily be expanded in the future if you get more birds. If you're thinking 10-12 max, I'd aim for at least 200 sq ft, for ease of integration, which favors having more space.
Looks nice! Here is one that might be right in the middle, 150 sq ft. Looks pretty good and price wise as well...
https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...23-c-9894.htm?tid=-4464514258042420786&ipos=7

Looks nice! Here is one that might be right in the middle, 150 sq ft. Looks pretty good and price wise as well...
https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...23-c-9894.htm?tid=-4464514258042420786&ipos=7

That could work, wish they had the option to add more panels later on if needed. Depending on what your predator types or load looks like, you'll likely want to add an apron and at least a few additional feet of hardware cloth, but that would be the case for any type of kennel build.

That could work, wish they had the option to add more panels later on if needed. Depending on what your predator types or load looks like, you'll likely want to add an apron and at least a few additional feet of hardware cloth, but that would be the case for any type of kennel build.
Sounds good! Silly question, but when putting hardware cloth around the base, does it make it hard to open the door to the run?

Sounds good! Silly question, but when putting hardware cloth around the base, does it make it hard to open the door to the run?

Depends on how you do it. To seal up the gaps around the door I overlapped the hardware cloth on the door with the one on the fence, so when door is closed there's a little overhang of hardware cloth over the gap. Downside is this means my door only swings one way now instead of in and out.

A little tricky to see, I know, but the hardware cloth on the door sits a bit higher vs. the fence, so that's where the overlap is.

gate.jpg

Depends on how you do it. To seal up the gaps around the door I overlapped the hardware cloth on the door with the one on the fence, so when door is closed there's a little overhang of hardware cloth over the gap. Downside is this means my door only swings one way now instead of in and out.

A little tricky to see, I know, but the hardware cloth on the door sits a bit higher vs. the fence, so that's where the overlap is.

View attachment 2622090
Ok thank you! Do you how much hardware cloth I would need to fortify 150 sq ft? And what size of hardware cloth to buy from the store?

Ok thank you! Do you how much hardware cloth I would need to fortify 150 sq ft? And what size of hardware cloth to buy from the store?

Depends on how much coverage you want with HWC. If you're doing just a minimal amount like mine (which is to prevent raccoon reach ins, and digging around the perimeter), then you'd want 4' wide rolls, around 160' long (that's slightly longer than you need, but it'll allow for some seam and corner overlapping). So roughly 2' up on run walls, 2' aproned out. Big rolls come in 50' and 100' increments, so I'd probably get 3 50' rolls (100' can be quite heavy and harder to work with, but that's up to you) + 1 10' roll. if you think you might make mistakes cutting, then sub a 20' roll for the 10' I guess.

1/2" HWC, 19 gauge, is the standard choice. IF you have a mouse infestation issue, 1/4" might be better, but 1/2" should exclude everything from large mice to rats, snakes, etc.

Depends on how much coverage you want with HWC. If you're doing just a minimal amount like mine (which is to prevent raccoon reach ins, and digging around the perimeter), then you'd want 4' wide rolls, around 160' long (that's slightly longer than you need, but it'll allow for some seam and corner overlapping). So roughly 2' up on run walls, 2' aproned out. Big rolls come in 50' and 100' increments, so I'd probably get 3 50' rolls (100' can be quite heavy and harder to work with, but that's up to you) + 1 10' roll. if you think you might make mistakes cutting, then sub a 20' roll for the 10' I guess.

1/2" HWC, 19 gauge, is the standard choice. IF you have a mouse infestation issue, 1/4" might be better, but 1/2" should exclude everything from large mice to rats, snakes, etc.
Awesome great info thanks!

Ok thank you, what about just installing chain link fencing? Not necessarily dog kennel?
If you are looking at investing in something like chain link review other fence options so you make the best long term choice. For instance I would probably go with 6 foot high black steel 1x1" critter fencing since it works well for chicks as well as the larger birds.

I have broodies that raise tiny chicks in the coop most years and they can walk right through regular welded wire (or chain link) fencing. It also blends into the scenery much better and looks less "industrial". If you have lots of space the bigger the run the better!

https://www.critterfence.com/metal-fence-rolls-1x1

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom