Precious..the blind Barred Rock hen

Precious got her butt pecked today. I let the two older (2 yr old hens) girls into their run today to see how they would all get along. Supervised visit. One of the two was surprisingly chill about it. She was happy to eat from the littles feeder, even with the littles eating right beside her. The other hen though, was not interested in sharing. Whenever any of the littles got within her 3’ circle, she would chase them off with a good scolding and peck. Precious got within the circle of death and got a good pecking on her back side. She screeched, and tried to run, but it was obvious she was terrified, because she can’t see well enough to know where to go. I gathered her up and just snuggled with her till she calmed down. It’s clear to me that I cannot allow her anywhere near the one older hen, because she will get pecked hard. It’s going to be one of those challenges for me and her, to figure this out.

On another note, I got their new run done, and they spent the entire day loving it. Precious seemed to have no problem finding the waterer and feeder, which tells me she must see something. It may be a familiar blob, but she’s learning for herself what things are, and where to locate them.

At one point today, she scared me. I saw her lying in the dirt, legs stretched out, neck stretched, and looking limp...and actually dead. I panicked, and quickly opened the door to see what had happened. As I opened the door, she lifted her head and looked at me! It was more of a “excuse me, but I’m resting here!” look. Ha ha...joke was on me. She was just laying in a sunny spot, taking a nap.

I have a blind Barred Rock names Blinky! I raised her from a little baby! She now lays eggs and will be a year old at the end of August! I love her dearly

Attachments

• 7D6ADC4F-2BD9-4D1D-9B6F-A6D11D34763E.jpeg
    7D6ADC4F-2BD9-4D1D-9B6F-A6D11D34763E.jpeg
    321.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 80CB48D1-ADFF-4A99-9262-CAE2352E7839.jpeg
    80CB48D1-ADFF-4A99-9262-CAE2352E7839.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 17
  • C71417C6-7F7C-4006-9AF9-8678DAC34BB8.jpeg
    C71417C6-7F7C-4006-9AF9-8678DAC34BB8.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 8FCBD153-55AF-48C1-AF08-0BC9FDAF3BCA.jpeg
    8FCBD153-55AF-48C1-AF08-0BC9FDAF3BCA.jpeg
    425.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 7B4AC2D9-2D72-467C-BB55-7D78A8B599C1.jpeg
    7B4AC2D9-2D72-467C-BB55-7D78A8B599C1.jpeg
    309.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 9CAAF603-45CC-4DFE-955E-27AB20708B33.jpeg
    9CAAF603-45CC-4DFE-955E-27AB20708B33.jpeg
    455.6 KB · Views: 19
  • EAC987A9-1E5E-44F7-9FD5-A59DFCBFD895.jpeg
    EAC987A9-1E5E-44F7-9FD5-A59DFCBFD895.jpeg
    474.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 46FCE29E-5365-4F9E-94E1-1A6A70735032.jpeg
    46FCE29E-5365-4F9E-94E1-1A6A70735032.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 20
Caught Precious dirt bathing today. Good to see she found suitable dirt. She loves being in the run, and seems to be able to find her way around it. She also found the food and water without my help. So far, she hasn’t quite figured out how to get back into the coop. I do need to add a ramp. The other girls just jump up into the doorway. It is about 14” off the ground.

Here they are in their new run. Precious is the one between the two RIRs.
38343B2E-D522-4A04-821B-C7A91B7A2B4D.jpeg

Discovered that one of my older ISA Brown hens, Daisy, is actually quite docile around the littles. She wasn’t so nice when we first got the chicks, and always tried pecking them through the wire wall in the coop. But, here she is, totally chill with them. Precious is the one behind her at the fence, steering clear after yesterday’s run in with the other one.
At one point, she wandered over to the waterer, and seemed to sense the presence of Daisy at the waterer and freaked out. She spun in a circle and shrieked. I was right there, and held her till she calmed down. I guess she remembers the scolding peck she got from the other girl yesterday.
CC272B8A-DA09-4F2C-9CB1-E4857EA8359B.jpeg

Awwww! She’s adorbs! I have an old BR, Alice, who is 7, and just got a new one with three other chicks. The new BR, Junie, is recovering from an illness (I suspect there was a slight blockage, then sour crop, and now I’m also treating her for coccidiosis as well, just in case, because she‘s still on the groggy/lethargic side and smaller than the other chicks now). She’s only two and a half weeks old, but your Precious reminds me of her. Good to know your baby is doing well and it gives me hope my little June Bug will continue to mend :love .

- Jenna

Awwww! She’s adorbs! I have an old BR, Alice, who is 7, and just got a new one with three other chicks. The new BR, Junie, is recovering from an illness (I suspect there was a slight blockage, then sour crop, and now I’m also treating her for coccidiosis as well, just in case, because she‘s still on the groggy/lethargic side and smaller than the other chicks now). She’s only two and a half weeks old, but your Precious reminds me of her. Good to know your baby is doing well and it gives me hope my little June Bug will continue to mend :love .

- Jenna
Just wanted to say some if the folks around here that are smarter than me have said to be careful treating coccidiosis too soon after another illness as the treatement is hard on them might hurt a bird already weakened. O hope Junie is fine though.

Precious is precious. Thats a nice looking run sounds like they have a truly caring Chickie mamma bet they will all adjust and get along. I hope precious can stay with the flock it is better for their health as their mental state can adversely affect their real health. Looking GOOD!!

Just wanted to say some if the folks around here that are smarter than me have said to be careful treating coccidiosis too soon after another illness as the treatement is hard on them might hurt a bird already weakened. O hope Junie is fine though.

Precious is precious. Thats a nice looking run sounds like they have a truly caring Chickie mamma bet they will all adjust and get along. I hope precious can stay with the flock it is better for their health as their mental state can adversely affect their real health. Looking GOOD!!

Thanks for the advice! It was suggested she might have coccidiosis (instead of sour crop). Now I wonder if I should hold off? Her poop looks normal - solid with no blood, and I don’t think there ever was any (just the orangish, stringy stuff I read was normal) - and the only symptom remaining is the lethargy. Think that’s just because she spent a week of me trying to get her gassy crop back to functioning normally? I also started treating the others for coccidiosis, just in case... Maybe for Junie I’ll just keep putting some ACV and electrolytes in her water. Thanks again!
- Jenna

Back
Top Bottom