Precision Old Red Barn

Great review ..that's what I was looking for if you could put up a review at tractor supply that would be cool so others don't waste there money there is not a single review out there on this coop other then what I just read from you..

I think most these coops are a disappointment, I've only read a few out of many, many bad reviews here and on other boards. For some folks with 2-3 chickens they are fine, but beyond that - a waste of money unless they are turned into brooder or bachelor coops.

I doubt any of the manufacturers allow bad reviews to remain on their webpages, they are in it to sell a rosy dream and the truth would diminish sales.

Hey!! I bought this coop and have it sitting in my shop. I haven't built it yet. I'm interested to see reviews. I bought mine for $400.

One thing. I was planning on lifting this coop up about 2 feet by building a base that it can sit on out of 2x4 & chicken wire. Having the actual HOUSE part sitting on the ground makes no sense to me. It gets so wet and muddy here.. I don't see how the coop could take it!! Plus, I'm tall and I think it will make for easier egg collection.

I only planned on having 3 or 4 heritage breed hens. I think the box says '8 hen' but thats crazy!! Hahaha.

I'll post back with pictures once I have it built.

Hey!! I bought this coop and have it sitting in my shop. I haven't built it yet. I'm interested to see reviews. I bought mine for $400.

One thing. I was planning on lifting this coop up about 2 feet by building a base that it can sit on out of 2x4 & chicken wire. Having the actual HOUSE part sitting on the ground makes no sense to me. It gets so wet and muddy here.. I don't see how the coop could take it!! Plus, I'm tall and I think it will make for easier egg collection.

I only planned on having 3 or 4 heritage breed hens. I think the box says '8 hen' but thats crazy!! Hahaha.

I'll post back with pictures once I have it built.

Cool look forward to see actual pictures of the coop..

Curious to see how your base works out! Someone suggested I make a "cookie tray" bottom for mine and caulk it tight.

Rather than sink more $ in it, I am having someone build another coop, and am using this as my bachelor coop. But, no reason not to give the bachelor a dry floor if there is an easy way to do it! Anybody else with suggestions?

Also, I think it needs to have a door added that allows closing the entrance to the coop from the run area.

Note, it does not come with bricks - that was my add on since I had some lying around - they come in handy propping open the door, holding flowers... I put in the fence posts to help keep it anchored - and for tarps.

Although we are pleased with the materials & the design of the coop, we found the dimensions are way off. On the box it is advertised as being 77.9L by 52.7W in inches. In reality, the finished coop measures 71.5L by 36W in inches. That's a total of about 3/4 of a square foot of area that we did not get! I would like to warn other potential buyers about this discrepancy in size, also the coop itself has no floor. I expected the run to have no floor, but the coop should either have a floor or be clearly marked as having no floor. We are making a base to set this coop on to make it more secure & to give our six prissy chix a bit more room. I am making a video for YouTube about this, I will post the link here as soon as it is ready.

........ we found the dimensions are way off. On the box it is advertised as being 77.9L by 52.7W in inches. In reality, the finished coop measures 71.5L by 36W in inches. That's a total of about 3/4 of a square foot of area that we did not get! I would like to warn other potential buyers about this discrepancy in size, also the coop itself has no floor. I expected the run to have no floor, but the coop should either have a floor or be clearly marked as having no floor. We are making a base to set this coop on to make it more secure & to give our six prissy chix a bit more room. I am making a video for YouTube about this, I will post the link here as soon as it is ready.
...and if you want to look even further into reality..... it looks like the coop itself is less than half that and the run itself a little more than half that.
I'm guessing that the coop itself is about 3' x 2.5' room for one.... maybe two chickens optimally.

Product specs are almost always overall dimensions and if no details are provided in literature....assume that you are being sold an illusion.

Looks like it would be a great brooder or bachelor coop tho.

Could you just cut a piece of plywood to fit the interior of the coop for a floor? Use 2x4s underneath, to raise it up above the height of the concrete/ground. That would be plenty of height, to keep the interior dry, as long as you aren't putting it in a low spot. It doesn't matter if the floor and 2x4s show in the doorways. You can always paint them, if you want. Sometimes those little coop kits don't have the most weather resistant finishes and really benefit from some extra paint or sealer.

Sometimes, a couple of modifications like that really help those coops. It's especially worth it if you already bought it.

I forgot about the nest box leaking. Lots of interruptions here. I'm not sure where the nest box is leaking. If it's where it's hinged, a strip of something flexible attached to the coop wall might work. Some kind of flap that covers that gap and channels the water that hits it onto and down the nest box roof, would work. Like a strip of rubber. If it's leaking along the white strip that's on the nest box roof, run a strip of some type of caulk/sealer along those strips. If it's blowing or running along the edges of the nest box roof and getting in along the underside edge, you could attach some thin strips of wood around the bottom edge of the nest box roof.

I think I will do a plywood base floor for the whole thing - 4x8 for ease of no cutting! Is pressure treated plywood okay for the floor of coop? Or is the chemical in the lumber harmful to chickens?

Back
Top Bottom